Complete France Forum

Uk websites

Deborah

Welcome to the Forum, Deborah.  This question has been asked from time to time.

Take a look at the following threads:

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1406887/ShowPost.aspx

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1191880/ShowPost.aspx

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1147205/ShowPost.aspx

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/973471/ShowPost.aspx

There are other threads that recommend other companies.  There is a search facility on the Forum - in the top right hand corner.  I searched on the word 'buying freezer' as I remembered a thread about it, with a suggestion for a UK company that delivers in France, but I am sure that there are other threads.

I am trying to remember the name of the French company that is related to Comet or Currys.  Someone will come along and help, I hope...

thanks for your replies, the problem I have found is that I find an item on  a website like Amazon .co.uk the product is approx £15.00, the same product in france is 50 euros, unfortuately Amazon will not deliver electrical items to france.  I have been researching the internet  for some time to try and find alternative ways of purchasing goods in Britain which are of course alot cheaper than here in France and then getting them sent here but as yet no luck .

Lynda & Richard you beat me to it?  I have tried like the OP to buy off Amazon and they won't send electrical goods to France.[:(] But you can search for stuff from E-bay if you put your French postcode onto the page you are looking at. The one thing I want which is cheaper from the UK is a sat nav from Amazon £79.99 but from Darty in France €129. A way round this is if you can have (a small item) sent to a relative or someone who you are going to see in the UK. I suppose it depends on the size of the item as to whether the e-bay seller will post it.

tuppence

[quote user="Deborah"]thanks for your replies, the problem I have found is that I find an item on  a website like Amazon .co.uk the product is approx £15.00, the same product in france is 50 euros, unfortuately Amazon will not deliver electrical items to france.  I have been researching the internet  for some time to try and find alternative ways of purchasing goods in Britain which are of course alot cheaper than here in France and then getting them sent here but as yet no luck .[/quote]

Bugbear

you probably missed Deborah's post above?

[quote user="Jay"]

Bugbear

you probably missed Deborah's post above?

[/quote]

Not at all Jay...........a quick comparison, chosen at random

Canon Powershot A2000 + delivery to france.

Amazon.co.uk = £159.98 + postage.

Amazon.fr = 175.15 euros no postage costs.

Also quick comparison, chosen at random:

Garmin Nuvi 250 SatNav £79.00 UK

Same on Amazon.fr EUR 126,45, at todays exchange rate that's a £40.00 difference!

I suppose it all depends what you are looking for. We buy from Amazon.fr but only when the price is comparable.

Oh come on, thats a special offer to shift old stock. even cheaper than that at Halfords..............[:D]

My all-singing all-dancing Brother printer/fax/scanner which I bought recently from Amazon.fr was 100 euros (post free). Amazon.co.uk had the identical item for sale at the same time for £149.00.

I guess it pays to shop around.

it certainly does pay to shop around. The Garmin Nuvi 250 mentioned above is £79.99 on Amazon UK, £99.99 in Halfords and €129 in Darty France. I know which one I'd go for. In fact this is the product I mentioned in an earlier post on this very subject.

tuppence

Thanks again, I have checked Amazon.fr and ebay.fr and found the product that I wanted  a Babyliss hairdryer was £14.68 in the uk model number 5710, 1750 w and on Amazon.fr and ebay the similar product model number 5712 1700w was  57.74 euros.also I have looked at other items and compared the prices from Amazon uk to Amazon.fr or eBay and play.com and found them to be alot cheaper in the UK, than France. But because I do not go back to the UK that often it would be great if I could easily purchase the items  here or get them delivered from a site in the UK.

Hi Deborah,

On another category someone mentioned a website called www.chemistdirect.co.uk and they sell elctrical items including hairdriers. There prices are quite good and their postage to Europe is a basic £7.54. I have just ordered some medications from them and I will have saved over £10 based on pharmacies prices over here. And that includes the p/p as wwell[:D] It might  be worth a try. Good Luck!

tuppence

Deborah

the second you cut the UK plug off that hair drier you invalidate the guarantee.  If you use it with a French to UK adapter the 1750W power is way above the safety limit on the adaptor.  My advice is shop around, but don't play with safety.

[quote user="tuppence"]

it certainly does pay to shop around. The Garmin Nuvi 250 mentioned above is £79.99 on Amazon UK, £99.99 in Halfords and €129 in Darty France. I know which one I'd go for. In fact this is the product I mentioned in an earlier post on this very subject.

tuppence

[/quote]

One reason is that TVA (VAT) is 25% on luxury goods in France. The other is the French prefer not to undercut each other and have a stable base. It is very difficult to negotiate discounts in France - but it can be done I got my TV down by 400 euros.

Archived