Complete France Forum

Making shopping easy

Frecossais

I am recovering from an operation on my foot and have to use crutches to get about, but yesterday, feeling quite stir crazy, I accompanied my OH to the supermarket, thinking I'd just sit near the door while he wandered up and down the aisles. However the supermarket had wheelchairs, electric ones, simple to use and I had a great time shooting around, (luckily at 8pm it wasn't too busy).  I know it sounds sad, but it was an outing, and I bought all the woman stuff the OH isn't very good at.

Oh and I was touched by the number of people who asked me if they could reach things off the shelves for me.

Tesco well done.

I'm happy that you had a good experience.

I have had a good deal of human warmth from other shoppers here in France in the same sort of way, but unfortunately we don't have the same sort of facilities in the supermarkets, and I have now given up going.

In town I can order things on-line and have them delivered from Monoprix, Géant and Picard, but I can't imagine how single handicapped people in the country manage.

Hope your foot improves soon.  At the same time remember those who are in this situation for the rest of their lives.

Yes, the UK is a doddle compared with here and it's not just in the shops.  When I go to the UK to my annual music festival, a charity call Fair Mobility is always there and will hire out scooters for use for the whole weekend.  For the (relatively quiet, in terms of audience numbers) 1000 kilometers of Silverstone, there they are again so I can get all the way around the circuit on my own!  In every shopping centre, heh presto, Shop Mobility! 

However, here in France, you're lucky if you find an old, battered manual wheelchair in a grande surface (happily I have my own for long discances) let alone a good supply of well maintained trolleys to pop in front of them, as happens by default in Britain or - what a bizarre thought - a free-to-use scooter with a basket on the front.  And at race meetings, well - you might as well whistle.  Even with a chair it's virtually impossible to get off the main straight without two beefy chaps to shove you over the gravel out to the decent corners.  And the idea that you might, as a member, want to get into a part of the grandstand where there's level access to a loo - are you *ff*ng kidding?

It's the one thing which makes me think that one day (especially if I cease to be able to drive) I might well end up back in the UK, just for the convenience and the way in which the disabled are properly catered for.  Here, it's a joke.  Happily, as Norman says, there are loads of kind people about, but really -should one have to rely on the kindness of strangers just to lead a normal life?

Rant over (for now.)

I have to say with few exceptions, handicapped access is very good in the UK. Scoots or wheelchairs often available in shops.

Still last time I was there my Mairie in France had built a lovely ramp up to the front door, with a bloody big step to get over before getting into the building. My thought was that maybe it is a 'does he take sugar' moment and they expect 'les handicapes' to be left parked outside the door whilst their 'able bodied' assistant went in and sorted things out.

Yes indeed NormanH, My experience has made me think of the people who will always count on a wheelchair to get around, whereas I hope mine is a temporary state of affairs, but I must say it was distressing to hear from yourself and Cooperlola that the reality of being permanently disabled throws up so many hindrances to leading a normal life.

It is indecent that one country, in this case UK seems to have made a real stab at providing resources for those who use a wheelchair, while other countries, equally "enlightened" drag their heels, or almost worse, offer token help.

As for ranting, you're entitled, I hope things do change for the better for you.

On the question of relying on other people for help, well we're all in this life together and accepting a helping hand when you need it is part of that.

Yes..it is one of the bright spots to see how many people of all ages and nationalities DO help, although here one of my bêtes noires  is the number of people who park illegally in front the little ramps up and down from the pavement (can't think of the proper word ..) blocking them

Archived