Complete France Forum

Buying a new oven - help with terminology please

Judith

Going hunting for a new oven later this week - and having a problem with the terminology.

I want what I would have called in the past, a fan oven ... but I have seen pulsé, brassé, and and tournante to describe the heating method and I cannot tell which is what.  So can any kind soul tell me which is which, please?

[quote user="Judith"]Going hunting for a new oven later this week - and having a problem with the terminology.

I want what I would have called in the past, a fan oven ... but I have seen pulsé, brassé, and and tournante to describe the heating method and I cannot tell which is what.  So can any kind soul tell me which is which, please?[/quote]

Some info HERE.

[quote user="PaulT"]Can definitely recommend one with a Pyrolysis function.

We have a DeDietrich and using the function leaves an oven extremely clean and just a small pile of ash in the bottom to be swept out.[/quote]

I'm slightly dubious about pyrolysis as it was trying to  pyrolyse the "old" oven which caused it to have a turn, and not work properly again!!  But as it is oldidh (I don't know  how old, it was here when we arrived, and I suspect here before the people we bought from had it too ...) I'm not too worried, I just want a simple fan oven which works without all the bells and whistles!

[quote user="woolybanana"]A head's up.

Brandt, Fagor and De Detriech all belong to a Spanish company which has just gone bust and production has stopped whether you can get one cheap or whether it is a risk is up to you.

They will be partly taken over by an Algerian company sometime soonish.[/quote]

Thanks WB.  Not as concerned about cost as getting what I want - but this is useful knowledge.  If these makes are going cheap I will know why.  It's more  important to have something that if it goes wrong can be repaired / replaced easily. 

• 4 weeks later...
Sorry, I'm a bit late getting back to say thanks to all.  Oven, and as it happens, a new induction hob, now bought from boulanger in Beziers, and oven now installed, but hob needs a new electricity supply, as we suspected it would.  All this has been 2 years in the thinking, research and actual doing, and I am very pleased with my new purchases.

Eventually I plumped for a Neff hide and slide oven with catalysis (so nice to get the door out of the way in my slightly not square kitchen)  and an AEG induction hob with a choice of two large or 4 smaller "hobs" but almost infinitely variable in how they can be used, which has the advantage also of fitting in our narrower than normal workstop (and, yes, none of it was a simple choice).  Electrician is under starting orders, so I hope to be fully functioning reasonably soon ....

RH - yes, the "hidden" door is a very good idea, especially for smaller kitchens. So far, I'm very pleased with it.  The only Neff  hob I saw was too big for my worktop, so I was more limited in choice for that ... still I hope it will all work out, once we get the new supply in which we hope will be soon now!.

Archived