Complete France Forum

Seperation (non married couple)

mands

Hi, I am just trying to get information with regards to seperation and the law in france and any help would be gratefully recieved.... Myself and my partner have been together for 15 years and the relationshipi breaking down quite rapidly. We are not married, but purchased our house in france 50/50 and we have two children. where do I stand? what is the law on the house, possibly sale, if I left the property? is there such an organisation like the csa here with regards to maitainence? anything else I need to be aware of? my partner is a wage earner here in france and I (and the children) are on his carte vitale what happens here? so many questions and in an ideal world we wont be seperating but I really dont know which way to turn

thankyou in advance for any help

[quote user="mands"] We are not married, but purchased our house in france 50/50 and we have two children. where do I stand? what is the law on the house, possibly sale, if I left the property?[/quote]

Please try to stay put whilst your situation is sorted out, as here in France things can go very badly wrong re the legal side if you leave. It will be viewed as abandonment of your children etc etc.  Also everything might then be perceived to be your fault - whether it is or not.

Please be careful.

Sue

Mands,

Some info regarding children HERE (translation).

Some info regarding separation on unmarried couples HERE (translation).

Regardless of what answers you are given here, you must establish the situation officially as there are children involved.

Your mairie may have details of free consultation service for lawyers. If not, they can give you the contact details of the  Tribunal de Grande Instance (TGI) in your department and they should be able to give that info.

Thankyou to you both, I would never leave my children that is why Im trying to find out my rights first...but arguing constantly really isnt any good for anyone..our 2 year old isnt really aware, but our 8 year old is very aware :(

Be careful. I do not believe that you can 'just' take your kids from their home or to the UK if you want without their father's permission. In fact because of this, I do know of women who were obliged to leave home without their children and then were caught out about abandonment.

Also I don't think that there are any specific figures for maintenance for the children and is down to each judge to decide.

You need legal advice about this.

[quote user="idun"]Be careful. I do not believe that you can 'just' take your kids from their home or to the UK if you want without their father's permission. In fact because of this, I do know of women who were obliged to leave home without their children and then were caught out about abandonment.

Also I don't think that there are any specific figures for maintenance for the children and is down to each judge to decide.

You need legal advice about this.[/quote]

if I go it will be after I am told(again) to leave if im not happy and take the kids . this alternates with hes going to get full custody and take them from me.hence needing to know where I stand.I intend to stay here in france as I want my son to continue his education here, and possibly stay in the local area. I have looked at the sites and I think youre right I need to know where I stand legally. the mairie is open tomorrow so I will go along. ref maintenance Im not bothered as long as I can survive here I would rather sell the house and start afresh

Archived