Complete France Forum

Power of attorney to cover UK and France

val douest

There have been a couple of threads recently about ways of ensuring that elderly parents are protected when they are no longer capable of making decisions for themselves.  The French Mandate de Protection Future seems to be the equivalent of the Lasting Power of Attorney (which has replaced the old Enduring Power of Attorney) in that with the consent of the people involved it can be drawn up to cover possible circumstances further down the line.

We have assets in the UK and France so should we have two documents drawn up, one to cover each country?  Or, as we are resident in France, would the Mandate de Protection Future cover us for both?  We would want to nominate two of our children, jointly,  as the protectors of our interests if old age renders both of us incapable.  However, if one of us were to become suddenly incapacitated, through a stroke for example, we would want the surviving spouse to be the one to step in and take decisions.  Would this be possible if a MdePF or LPofA had been set up but not activated?

Thanks,

Val

My brother in law and I have lasting power of attourney for my mother, but haven't actually enacted it yet.....the only thing I would say is as far as I remember it comes in two parts, well being/ health and financial....my feeling is that it's best to do both together

I believe the forms are available on the Internet , read them carefully, not everyone qualifies to be a 'guardian'.

While trying to find answers to my original question I came across this link which seems to answer my questions and might be of interest to others.

http://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/french-form-powers-of-attorney-69929/

Since I don't know where I'll be when and if  I eventually go gaga it looks as if it would be a good idea to have a version drawn up in both countries!

Val

Archived