Complete France Forum

potager

Gyn_Paul

We are just buying a house in the northern part of Limousin (304m above sea level). The house has a long, west-facing rear garden with an existing potager which will have been more-or-less untouched this year. There are a couple of rows of soft fruit canes and about 4 or 6 rows of veg. I would guess that by the time we get over there for good it will be mid April and the place will be waste-high in weeds.

That late in the season, and without (this year) a greenhouse, what would any of you folks attempt to grow this year?

I would particularly welcome advice from anyone in that part of the world with experience of growing things here (how soon/late it gets frost etc.).

paul

You should find your local market full of seedlings as spring and summer goes on, lettuce, leeks, onions plus plants of everything you can think of growing in the summer - don't forget to try a Pottimaron - large orange pumpkins - restrict to 4 to a plant and leave 3 to 6 foot between plants as they grow like stink. I have only just frozen mine as they keep well if you can keep them frost free. The round courgettes are fantastic and I stuff mine with cheese and onions. You will be able to plant French beans, Borlotti or Haricot Blanc to store for the winter etc. In the autumn you will be able to buy onion and other seedlings.

We are 464 m up and I have peas under cloche and the broad beans have survived 8 days or so of minus temps - if we get another long cold spell I will cover with fleece. Beet spinach also does well and will feed you for about 9 months of the year - I could go on. Think what you can grow in the UK and then realise that the extra sun will make everything grow even better. I am still wondering what I do with 100 hot chilies...

I cook soup for the workers each day and I have not had to buy anything to put into the soup so far this winter except onions and tomato puree - the rest comes from the garden or freezer.

Last year was so wet that most things did not go in till late May and we still had a good crop. As for a greenhouse, we have gone for a plastic one as it is far far too hot for glass here and I want to see just how much difference a serre will make. I always had a glass one in the UK.

Wow Thanks Di,

Such a lot to think about, I was mentally considering only seeds I could start myself, I'd completely forgotten the seedlings from the market.

I shall be sitting on the boat coming back just before Easter with a stack of gardening books and a big list!

cheers,

paul

Archived