Complete France Forum

dead, clay-like soil

Gyn_Paul

I've reclaimed a corner of a field which has had nothing but grass and hefty weeds in it for - oh probably forever. Trouble is, the soil seems very heavy. Not exactly clay, in that if you pick up a sod and wizz it between you fingers it does break up into a reasonable tilth, but it seems very sort of... well dense and lifeless. No sign of any vegetable matter in it. It's having a hard time supporting veg this year and  - clearly - I'll have to do something to put a bit of life into it.

I have TONS of hay and grass cuttings which I shall compost this year, but suspect this is still going to be missing something.

Down the road from us is a farm with cattle kept in byers (sp?). They are out in the fields at the moment, but, when they are back in the sheds, I'm sure he'd be only too happy to let me have a load of manure to mix with it.

Will it have composted down enough to put on the land by early in the NY?

I also have another piece of land I want to plant next year which currently has grass on it at the moment. I intend to Glycosphate and then plough it in.   Is there anything I could be growing which would enrich the soil for next year?      The Brico LeClerc's gardening section seems to have (in addition to the usual packets of seeds) bags and small sacks of seeds for plants I've never heard of which look like they might be something like these (nitrogen fixers?).

Anyone any experience of turning dead, monoculture soil into a vibrant, fertile growing medium?

paul

Our soil appears to be pure clay, but is amazingly fertile - obviously contains nutrients. Just breaks your back to dig it. You can buy cheap compost. Champion have some at about 2 euro for 50 kg. We have used this and I was talking to a french couple who bought about 20 bags to improve their clay. We have also used cow manure and homemade compost. In theory Isuppose you could add sand. There is a saying that clay soil breaks your back but sandy soil breaks your heart. Pat.

Our soil is pretty clay like, if we don't plant things out before June, its as hard as hell to dig, however I heard an expert say that clay soil has the virtue of holding on to the nutrients so I think its worth bulking it up with composts etc, using grit for plants that need good drainage etc.

" The Brico LeClerc's gardening section seems to have (in addition to the usual packets of seeds) bags and small sacks of seeds for plants I've never heard of which look like they might be something like these (nitrogen fixers?)."

Clover fixes Nitrogen, so my farmer neigbour tells me. It sounds like the bags you are looking at are 'Engrais Vert' and a friend who has a wonderful Potager plants this sometimes and then digs it in. I think she does this because her land is in constant rotation with crops.

Regarding you clay-like soil as has been mentioned clay soil is normally very fertile. If it is growing grass and weeds all on its own it must be pretty fertile! It sounds to me that you might have a hard pan of soil from contant running of tractor tyres. A you have discovered it will break down into a decent fine tilth - all it needs is some really hard work .

Liz (29)

[quote]" The Brico LeClerc's gardening section seems to have (in addition to the usual packets of seeds) bags and small sacks of seeds for plants I've never heard of which look like they might be something l...[/quote]

".....Regarding you clay-like soil as has been mentioned clay soil is normally very fertile. If it is growing grass and weeds all on its own it must be pretty fertile! It sounds to me that you might have a hard pan of soil from contant running of tractor tyres. A you have discovered it will break down into a decent fine tilth - all it needs is some really hard work ...!

Sounds like this is what has happened, Liz.

I turned it all over with a fork, shook and bashed the soil off the biggest clumps of weeds (making, in the process, a pile of rubbish to compost much the size of a prefab) then left it for a couple of days (while my back recovered!) Then attacked it with the rotovator and planted it. After rotovating, leveling and raking the level rose by about 5 inches, but quickly compacts again wherever I walked, so your comment about the tractor compaction sound pretty much on the mark.

paul

Archived