Complete France Forum

Jasmin

Gyn_Paul

Hi,

We've been given a very lovely jasmin which can't yet go in its final home (waiting for an apponti to be demolished and a conservatory to be built).

The question is;

Is it one of those plants which hate to have their roots warm ?    i.e. it won't like to be in a free-standing pot.

or

Is it one of those plant which hate to have their roots disturbed ? i.e. don't put it in the ground anywhere other than its permanent home ?

paul

I've seen quite big Jasmines in pots.

I would check that it isn't too cramped in the pot it came in, and re-pot if neccessary.

Plant it in its intended place when the work is done, preferably in Autumn.

This way there will be no damage to the roots when you plant it out.

If it's in the pot over winter you may need to wrap the pot up, if you get heavy frosts.

[quote user="Tresco"]

I've seen quite big Jasmines in pots.

I would check that it isn't too cramped in the pot it came in, and re-pot if neccessary.

Plant it in it's intended place when the work is done, preferably in Autumn.

This way there will be no damage to the roots when you plant it out.

If it's in the pot over winter you may need to wrap the pot up, if you get heavy frosts.

[/quote]

Thanks for that: yes, here in La Creuse we do get quite heavy frosts, though seldom for very long (the huge experience of 1 & 1/2 winters talking here !). The day we moved in it was -20C, so I shall be making free with the fleece come autumn. Can't believe it will ever be cold again; it's 48C under the slates in the loft at the moment.

[quote user="Gyn_Paul"]
Thanks for that: yes, here in La Creuse we do get quite heavy frosts, though seldom for very long (the huge experience of 1 & 1/2 winters talking here !). [/quote]

[:$] I was too lazy before to check back on where you lived. It's sweltering here, too.[:D]

Archived