Complete France Forum

Geraniums Clay or Plastic pots

Poppy

For a few years have grown geraniums in clay pots and not too happy with results. This year decided to do an experiment and have grown same plants in plastic and clay pots. Plastic seems to be winning. Apart from 'get a life' has anyone any observations.

Plastic does not dry out so quickly as it does not 'breathe' so is slightly more water retentive (though this is not a big issue with pelargoniums).  Also much lighter if it drops from the balcony or windowsill onto your head.  We lost a couple of largish terracotta pots over winter due to spalling and cracking (had a couple of days of vicious cold and wet - lethal combo) and have replaced them with decent quality plastic and fibreglass.  I used to have a life but I lost it somewhere on this forum.

Sorry  they are from a local source therefore must be pelargoniums. Think [I] because of temps and constant beating sun that we get in this area that even though they are pelargoniums water might be a problem. I did think watering every day would be OK but obviously need to line clay pots, they are not happy pelargy.

You see, there are SOME advantages to being in the north half of the country!  Have you tried mixing water retaining gel into your compost? I'm not a huge fan but it might help.   If compost gets really dried out it can be hard to re-wet it - it shrinks from the pot edges and water pours straight through.  You could maybe try a 50:50 soil and compost mix next time as it reabsorbs water more easily when it has dried out.

Don't know why it didn't click with me earlier [blink]  Bizzy Lizzies, trailing geraniums, petunias, tomatoes all really happy in plastic pots.Had a complete mental block zonale geraniums must be in clay pots [geek]  Not next year, many thanks for your replies.

Hi poppy,

first thing I feel should be pointed out is no matter what container you plant anything in it should be secured to stop wind or children helping it to fall on the ground or causing injury, you,d never forgive your self should this happen to anyone,

now having got that out of the way, plastic or clay, either, I put plenty of plants in together as they look and grow better if theres more rather than less,, ref watering I put ice cubes around the plants during hot spells and the ice melts away slowly enough to do a good job without the need to be wasting water

But every evening I give my plants a watering and first thing in the morning a mist spray (befor the sun gets to them)

geraniums like rusty water, so keep a bucket full of water with some nails in it and when the water turns a rustlast y colour, water it to the plants.

and but not least, dead head as soon as the flower starts to die. never feed in hot direct sun it will cause the leaves to turn yellow and the plant will die.

Happy safe gardening.[:'(]

Thanks for all the hints Pun.

Will definitely try the rusty water and may have been tempted to feed to give geraniums a boost. They are in single clay pots along a small wall and arent very happy. Will have to line pots or change to plastic [blink]

If compost dries out to the dust stage the best thing is to dump the whole pot in a bucket of water with a little washing-up liquid added. This lowers the surface tension and ensures the compost rehydrates thoroughly, rather than just float off the surface. I usually make it a bucket of Miracle-gro + washing-up liquid; that way the poor thing gets a feed as well.

p

[quote user="Poppy"]

They are in single clay pots along a small wall and arent very happy.

[/quote]

Wee pots whether clay or plastic dry out very quickly - if in sun they could dry out in an hour or two.  Best solution is bigger pots!

Yes you are right got to change my wee ones for bigger ones. I have been experimenting [I] well it gets me out of the house [:)] Transferred a couple to bigger pots one clay one plastic and both are doing better but plastic winning. Could have something to do with weather, never known anything like it - 40s in the shade for a couple of weeks and high 30s at the beginning of June. Thanks for the tip P think I will sit me and the pots in a bucket.

Archived