Complete France Forum

Petrol lawnmower recommendations

Georgina

Anyone bought a petrol mower in France.  I am looking on various websites and have been told that Briggs and Stratton engines are a must. However my local Magazin Vert has a tempting offer with a Chinese model.

I need self propelled and my garden is less than 500 square metres.  A little bumpy in parts and full of moss.

Anyone bought one over here?  The prices do seem more expensive generally than in the UK.

Any advice appreciated.

Georgina

Our has a Honda engine, which are also good. It's been taking a real beating this year  and done a good job. The make is Bernard Loisirs and we got it from Carrefour, on offer, after searching round nearly every brico comparing them!

There are lots of offers around in spring maybe wait till then.

Don't know the name of it but I bought a monster in Leroy Merlin with a B& G engine for about 400 quid.  It's been brilliant except for when I broke the throttle cable.  Couldn't find a replacement and local mower repair place wanted 3 months to repair and even then it was doubtful as they didn't stock this part, not sure of the make and other lame excuses. Blow that I thought and got a bicycle brake cable from Auchan for 1 euro and fitted it in 5 minutes, that was 2 years ago and still going fine !!

We bought our Jardipro machine from LeClerc at the 'end of summer' sale last year at virtually half-price for 140 euros. It is a Prisma 40, has a Techumseh engine and says 'made in Italy'. We were astonished at how efficient it has been as we expected it to be rubbish at that price. We have about 1000 sq mtrs and, living in Brittany with plentiful amounts of rain, we do need to cut the grass very regularly.

BTW we do receive numerous comments from our [French] neighbours on how often our grass is cut, but our German neighbour cuts his lawn as often as us so there you go. Mind you it was not so much a lawn when we moved in as a field of dry straw and as my OH wanted to practise his chip shots ...

Sue  [:)]

[quote user="Spg"]

We bought our Jardipro machine from LeClerc at the 'end of summer' sale last year at virtually half-price for 140 euros. It is a Prisma 40, has a Techumseh engine and says 'made in Italy'. We were astonished at how efficient it has been as we expected it to be rubbish at that price. We have about 1000 sq mtrs and, living in Brittany with plentiful amounts of rain, we do need to cut the grass very regularly.

BTW we do receive numerous comments from our [French] neighbours on how often our grass is cut, but our German neighbour cuts his lawn as often as us so there you go. Mind you it was not so much a lawn when we moved in as a field of dry straw and as my OH wanted to practise his chip shots ...

Sue  [:)]

[/quote]

I've never seen mowers in our Le Clerc, but I can't wait until end of next summer as I will be unable to find the front door!!

[quote user="Meg and Mog"]Our has a Honda engine, which are also good. It's been taking a real beating this year  and done a good job. The make is Bernard Loisirs and we got it from Carrefour, on offer, after searching round nearly every brico comparing them!

There are lots of offers around in spring maybe wait till then.
[/quote]

Yes Meg, think I will wait until spring.

Pierre - £400 seems a tad too expensive for mine - E400 maybe.

Georgina

***I've never seen mowers in our Le Clerc, but I can't wait until end of next summer as I will be unable to find the front door!!***

Yes, I agree it might be difficult for you, sad though isn't it?

We arrived at the beginning of July 2005 so had no need of a mower for quite a while as it was just too hot and, as I said in my post, the lawn resembled straw for a long time.

I suppose we are lucky in that our LeClerc - in Vannes - is pretty big and, in summer, they do mowers and all things gardeny etc. We got a super swing-seat for some ridiculously low sum as well.

What I was trying to get over  was: look in unexpected places; try Weldom for example who do reasonable mowers at reasonable prices and they might have a few left languishing somewhere - but you will need to ask.

Good luck and happy searching.

Sue

Archived