Complete France Forum

Hedging

londoneye

I would like a hedge !      To try to be more specific;   we have a garden at back of our cottage which is not screened from neighbour, but her outbuildings kind of back on to it, so neither of us have a good visual line of the other.      However, we do not have or intend to put any kind of screen on this part, because it allows us both to hang over the fence gossiping and discussing vegetable plots, etc.   basically cosy but not intrusive to either of us.    then we have also a large area of around a further 75 metres where we border the same (extremely nice) neighbours land, and in front of which we wish to place our swimming pool, where there is direct line of sight to her house / garden etc.   currently we do not really hang around this area too much, so its not a problem.    however the pool will change things, and i can hardly imagine that watching myself and OH sporting our less than perfect anatomies will be her idea of summer entertainment !

Hence the hedge - sorry to ramble but thought it might be worthwhile explaining purpose of said hedge.     I want a hedge which grows to around human height (!), grows quite quickly (I can use alternative screening for a couple of years), doesnt spread out too much back to front if you know what i mean, and doesnt require that i spend the rest of my life on a pruning mission.      i know i may be asking a lot here, and may have to compromise (oh and looks nice too please !), but does anyone have any ideas.

On same theme, i purloined a small section of hedge from not too far from where i live, which i have stuck in the ground, and seems to be alive.    this may or may not fit the bill, but i am not entirely sure what it is.       green (that should be a massive help !), sort of silvery leaves, lovely scent in autumn.   it may be an eleagnus ebbingei (something similar in gardening catalogue i have seen), but i am not sure if there are different types.   anyway to stop rambling now, does anyone know the growth rate of this hedge (if indeed it is that).

I can recommend this company (It's Buckingham Nurseries)

We have just taken delivery of 65 Green Privet plants from them. (2- 3 ft)  Even with delivery charges, it was much cheaper than anywhere in France. The plants were in excellent condition, well packed and with a good root system.

Very pleased.

Regards

David.

Archived