Complete France Forum

Difference between Avocat, Notaire and SCP

chessie

I'm being driven to distraction by UK mortgage company... so if I seem a bit irritated please have patience !!

We need to have our passports and driving licenses 'authenticated' - got this done, using the EXACT wording as requested by UK company and sent to UK.

Got reply -   'Not acceptable' -

because the Notaire had not dated it, nor put his 'qualifications' nor his web-site address - despite including Notaires business card with the written authentication.

Returned to Notaire to ask for new 'authentication' (ie copies of passports signed as 'true likeness' and dated etc etc'.

Asked about qualifications - highly indignant - 'A Notaire IS a qualification madam'.... !!

Now we all know that Notaire is the highest ranking legal position - but how on earth do I convince a UK company of this - who seem to be very, very obstructive over this whole issue.

Can anyone please advise what the letters 'SCP' indicate after an Avocat's name ?   Might help if I know what the difference is, because I might still have a battle with UK mortgage company over this difference.

As for web-sites - do many Notaires and Avocats out here have their own - get this - 'verifiable web-sites' !!! ??

At least the sun is shining (here anyway) - no more grey skies and rain for a few days - maybe Spring's on the way  !!!

Chessie

Well, SCP stand for "Société Civile Professionelle", for what it's worth.

It just designates the Notaire's company as a "professional" as opposed to a commercial company.

As for the difference between a notaire and an avocat, it's not dissimilar to the difference between a solicitor and a barrister.

For official translations, I think (not sure) you need to use a Certified Translator.

Google "France- certified translators " to find someone.

ps the above is relevant to France, translating from english  to  french . On second thoughts, if you're meaning translating from french to english you might need a different person. But with a language qualification, not legal.

Ask the mortgage company?

Did your notaire stamp the form? Surely they did, they must have an official stamp, and in France, every thing is always signed with WHERE it is 'signed' and the date, so both those things should be there too. Even in an ordinary letter, one should always put for example:-  

à Paris le 25 Dec 2000

Your notaire is on the notaires.fr web site aren't they???

On that site there is:

http://www.notaires.fr/fr/annuaires-notaire

couldn't you send them a copy of the page where they are listed on there???

And IF they are still carrying on if all that is done, then I would contact my Euro MP and tell them about it all.

Archived