Complete France Forum

taking ride on mower to France

Meeper

Does anyone know if there are regulations that mean you have to have your second hand ride on mower "biologically" cleaned or hermetically sealed?  Someone at the auction where we bought in England thought (after we'd already bought) you might have to have it professionally biologically treated and cleaned so there is no risk of spreading plant and animal disease across EU borders, which made us concerned about being stuck in a french port with a mower the douanes wouldn't let in.

If it does have to be "cleaned" then does anyone know where you can get this done in the UK, preferably in East Anglia?

Welcome to the Forum.

I brought my lawn mower here from the UK (not cleaned but then it was in the boot amongst a lot of other debris).  Big mistake.  As soon as it went wrong, no one could service it.  So I ended up having to scrap it and buying a 2nd hand one here.

Hi

We took our large ride-on mower to France some 6 years ago - it was on view and there was no problem.

Since then we have taken a very old tractor across on a flat bed trailer and again no problem.  It created a greatl deal of interest but certainly no indication of having to have had it "cleaned"

I would imagine that if there is foot and mouth once again rife in the UK then there might be a problem.

Good luck

Jekyll

[quote user="Meeper"]

Does anyone know if there are regulations that mean you have to have your second hand ride on mower "biologically" cleaned or hermetically sealed?  Someone at the auction where we bought in England thought (after we'd already bought) you might have to have it professionally biologically treated and cleaned so there is no risk of spreading plant and animal disease across EU borders, which made us concerned about being stuck in a french port with a mower the douanes wouldn't let in.

If it does have to be "cleaned" then does anyone know where you can get this done in the UK, preferably in East Anglia?

[/quote]

Welcome to the forum!

Did you by any chance buy it at Aylsham auction? If so I think you might be the victim of the famous Norfolk sense of humour.

You'll find that in France as well - try Normandy.

[quote user="Meeper"]

Does anyone know if there are regulations that mean you have to have your second hand ride on mower "biologically" cleaned or hermetically sealed?  Someone at the auction where we bought in England thought (after we'd already bought) you might have to have it professionally biologically treated and cleaned so there is no risk of spreading plant and animal disease across EU borders, which made us concerned about being stuck in a french port with a mower the douanes wouldn't let in.[/quote]

I think you're worrying unneccessarily.

As long as you have UK Tax Insurance and MOT you should have no problems. Of course if you are coming here to live and become resident you should also notify your local garden center in UK that it has been exported and change to French registration at your nearest Gamm Vert as soon as possible, and in any case within one month [6] [:)]

Archived