Complete France Forum

veg plot

valB

I have quite a large veg plot. I say I as OH is not really interested, he will do some digging and watering. Last year it was very productive, toms, green beans, carrots, cabbages and much more. My problem this year is we have to be away for several weeks due to a new baby expected and visiting a poorly sister-inlaw.  Hopfully coming back here mid June SO  is it too late then to plant things ? Things like the above mentioned and lettuce, broccoli and anything else I can get my hands on. I like to grow from seed but no one to care for them while I am away.  I will look forward to your relies and hopefully I will not have a bare veggie plot this year.

you can plant loads of stuff!   When are you going away?

Right now you can sow;

carrots

cabbage

broccoli

parsnips

celeriac

brussel sprouts

potatoes

onions & shallots, but too late for garlic

go and have a look in your local seed seller and check out sowing dates on various packets.

Biggest job will be cleaning up an overgrown veg plot in mid June.  A massive sheet of heavy black polythene from an agricultural suppliers dug in all around the edges will kill off most/prevent any new weeds sprouting before your return in June.  Bury the edges and stick a few rocks on it here and there.

Thank  you  for replying. I am reluctant to actually plant anything now as while we are away there will be no watering done. Unless some of the things mentioned could be harvested early May. I think it will be the black polythene to keep the dreaded weeds at bay while we are away. So, it will be OK to plant in June and then I will be here to give  love and care to the plants.

great idea of weed surpressant ... but may I recommend fabric instead of plastic... it's get's mighty hot here ... I had some things with plastic surpressant and they perished, just got too hot ... whereas the varieties protected by fabric mesh were fine.

The black polythene will help to keep moisture in too... If the weather's like last year then we won't be doing much watering in May anyway.

Radishes, cut-and-come again salad leaves & kohl rabbi crop very quickly.

Seeds do catch up, if they're planted late.

Otherwise, you'll be able to buy little plants in the market in June, to put straight in.

Archived