Complete France Forum

Leylandii

La Guerriere

Jim - in two words, "No & no".  Spits like hell on a domestic fire + poor heat value.  Doubt too that anyone would be interested in it for any other purpose.

Removing them too, is likely to be (as you imply) a bit of a so-and-so.  From memory, the ones I removed back in the UK had a fearsome tap root. If you want to use the vacated ground for anything, you may want to bite the bullet and get a professional to do it for you and get the roots up as well, rather than leave stumps which will take ages to rot + dispose of the wood etc.

I have today had 19 huge Leylandii removed from my front garden.The amount of light we have now is amazing.Had the job done by pros.The wood is being taken away by an association that turns the wood into wood chip or pellets and sell them off.

Just been chainsawing some down today as they were way to big for the small garden on one of our gites. We at this time are going to leave the trunks at a certain height to be the back bone for a fence instead of posts. But this may change yet as it may be nicer to see them go up in flames as it may give a positive feeling![:)]

If you could get them down to ground level you could always make a large raised bed around them and fill it with soil. I don't know how much area they take up but its a thought.

Archived