Complete France Forum

Growing plants under hedges

NickP

Could any body please advise me as to the possibility of growing plants underneath Leylandi hedges? We have a large amount of Leylandi hedges and in one spot there is a gap at the bottom of the hedge. We believe next door's dog used to use the space as a gate. The soil is bone dry and south facing.  Although I would prefer something different plant wise, if all else fails, could I put new Leylandi plants in the gap?

Filling in gaps in a Leylandii hedge is not straightforeward, beacause the conifers compete with any new plants for light, water, food and root space, but if the hedge is not too well established or if you are prepared to offer the new plant a great deal of care, it is possible.

We have several times been asked to cheer up parts of gardens against established Leylandii screens, often where the foliage doea not reach the ground.

In those cases we have used plants like Forsythia Maree d'Or, Chaenomeles and some of the dwarf Bamboos to add colour. To keep the neighbours dogs out we have used Ruscus (Butcher's Broom).

Good luck,

Colin

Archived