Complete France Forum

Asparagus

confused of chalus

This is the third year for our asparagus, so we are cutting the stalks as they appear. Should we cut the very thin ones (I think they are called sprue) or leave them to grow up. There are quite a lot and so far I've cut them. Would I get fewer of these and more nice fat stalks if I feed the crowns in the autumn?

Thanks, kathy

If you're in your third year you could leave the spears to grow bigger, although some people do prefer it as sprue. Cutting stimulates the crown to produce more shoots.

If you build up your asparagus bed with light sandy soil in late autumn after you've cut the old fern away, it will help to increase the size of spears. Top dressing with fertilizer will also help to increase your crop as asparagus is a greedy feeder, and it also helps keep it healthy.

Thank you gardengirl. I will continue cutting then, although the very thin ones dont taste of much and are tough. The fat ones are fabulous though. - To be able to pop out and pick asparagus just shows the difference between our old life and today. Strawberries are looking great too - they just need some sun. But then, dont we all!

Good luck with the sun for your crops.

I only manage salads etc on our 2nd floor balcony in France - but at least we're not bothered by slugs! I've cut back what I grow in UK; this year it will just be tomatoes and courgettes, plus perennial stuff like strawberries, and then salads when we return to UK in July. In UK I count half of all crops for us, half for the slugs. I use all methods to beat them; grit, copper tape, bran, beer pots etc, although slug pellets have only been used in very recent years. I can get 100 each night and 100 each morning without really trying.

We return to France this weekend sometime, and those poor tomatoes are going to have to be planted out before then. I don't have great hopes for them, as it's cold here, and my clay soil is not only cold, but damp as well.

Archived