Complete France Forum

desherbeur thermique

oldgit72

[quote user="oldgit72"]

I am thinking of buying one of these. Has anyone used one? are they any good for spot destruction of weeds such as curly dockleaf weeds?

Thanks

[/quote]

I bought three plus six gas cartridges some three years ago; just about to finish the FIRST cartridge. It is not very effective for weed removal from an energy time perspective; takes ages to dry the green leaves and does not kill the roots. I hewever find it useful for lighting barbecues, crème brulées, killing ants and other crawlies, very satisfying with chenilles procesionnaires, effective for cleaning joints of wild life before pointing, best for lighting bonfires no doubt at all. On old walls that have been impregnated with spores it burns them and kills the spores stone dead.

Although they come with screw-on cartridges, it is simple to bodge together a connection to a butane gas cylinder and stick the whole lot on a wheel barrow; much more economical.

If you decide against the thermique one, I read in my gardening mag. that there's a new generation of desherbants on sale this year, described as hybrides, non- toxic. Vegetable origin, plus a synthetic chemical, "hydrazide maléique."

Considered to be less destructive than the usual vicious products.

You are not supposed to do any more than singe the leaves and definately not fry them. It changes the molecular structure in the leaves and so destroys the roots as they no longer get the goodies from the leaves they need. As soon as they start to wilt that is the time to move on and it don't take very long!

I found that the lance that I had was not very good when it is cold and windy. The cold stopped the gas from vapourising so  adapted my gas blow lamp by strapping it to a 3 foot piece of pine and a Calor 10 lb gas bottle and it works a treat!

Cutting the tops off still leaves a healthy root and a deep rooted plant will just grow again. This is an excerpt fom the blurb on the one I have.

"Kill garden weeds instantly

Easy eco-friendly weeding, no chemicals just a touch of the Weed Wizard

applies a high temperature flame which instantly destroys the weeds

internal cell structure causing them to wither and die within a day or

two."

It's the cell structure that's destroyed and it's that that kills the root.

[quote user="Jonzjob"]just a touch of the Weed Wizard applies a high temperature flame which instantly destroys the weeds internal cell structure causing them to wither and die within a day or two."
[/quote]Well mine certainly doesn't do what it says on the tin, whether we lightly char or burn to a frazzle.  Waste of time and money, in my experience.

And I have a blokes version, a paraffin powered flame gun as used by flat roofers, I found it at the side of the road and it is a real serious piece of kit, the flame resembles a military jet on full afterburner, total overkill for weed control but I just love to drag it out every couple of years to reclaim my lost land, tenants not being particularly keen gardeners.

It has nearly destroyed my shed and fences but as for the weeds? They just grow back even more vigorously!

I tend to use it as an extreme pruning tool now [;-)]

I gather that chlorate de soudre is no longer available in France can it still be bought in the UK?

As someone said on another forum, handweeding and hoeing is the only answer.

Dig out the deeprooted weeds, then tackle the surface weeds with hoe or hacker., or just pull them out.

Once you've done a thorough cleanup, it's easier afterwards.

The weed problem is so much greater in France than in the UK. They grow faster and thicker (like the grass.)

• 2 months later...

Archived