Complete France Forum

Laurier Rose

Gardengirl

I have a large laurier rose on the balcony as a screen in the gap between us and the neighbours, having had two small ones which have done well. I watered it copiously before leaving for 2 weeks in UK; it was slightly droopy on our return, but in good condition, with all of the buds intact. Now after 3 weeks back here, watering it a couple of times each day in fairly hot weather, a lot of leaves are turning yellow; I removed about 30 yesterday and a similar number today. The buds are still opening, and the green leaves are looking good.

I'm going to buy it some feed tomorrow when we go past M. Bricolage, but I'm wondering if anyone has any other ideas please. I was thinking of repotting it in the autumn, after cutting it back.

I find them a bit enigmatic.

You can have three or four in a row and one will flake out and the others prosper: for no apparent reason.

I'd say (but with no scientific base) not to over-water. Look around your town: loads of them, but no auto-irrigation that I'm aware of.  Best I can offer.

Exactly what we were saying yesterday Gardian. But I do wonder if it's very pot bound, in which case water won't be getting in to the roots well. It's been pretty hot the last few weeks, so a lot of the water has probably evaporated. intended to repot it last autumn but events intervened. It's too big and heavy to do so without chopping it quite a bit back, which is why it won't get done until autumn. OTOH if it could squeeze into the car I'd take it back to UK when we return in a month or so (provided it still has some leaves!), where there's a lot more space and our sons could help! It's probably against the law though - I'll have to check it out.

We had an acer that wasn't thriving and were told to ease the pot off then cut  (we used an old carving knife) right down two sides, about 4 inches each. We then put it back in its pot and refilled with fresh compost. So far, so good....apparently newer roots take up water better... it would be a risk though....

Archived