Complete France Forum

Slugs and slimey things - gardening with entomophobia

zarathustra

I've never had my own garden before... I am succesfully growing and pruning an avacado tree that started life with some cocktail sticks and a glass of water on my apartment windowsill. I even raised a multitude of baby cacti from my bedroom window as a teenager. Next year I'm moving to the countryside and am relishing the challenge. After much reading and research I feel I understand the very basics of gardening, but of course that is meaningless without practice and experience which can only come with time. My new house has an extremely nice garden with woodland, fruit trees and two big vegetable patches, and I'm very keen not to destroy it. Thankfully a nearby log pile contains a hedgehog family which I'm hoping will nibble all the slimey things, but what's the best way of getting rid of an aversion to insects? I can just about cope with worms and snails (due to a shell), and I know it sounds really pathetic, but slugs make me screamish. Even a cranefly in the shower the other day had me in goose bumps. Is it possible to get over this phobia by just immersing myself in at the deepend (have to admit I have difficulty picturing myself doing this). I know some people use eggshells and beer traps etc. etc. but I'm led to believe these don't work all that well? Will I need to go out at night with a flashlight and pick off the

monsters individually, or has some creative company invented devices to

remove creepy crawlies without the need for human contact?

[quote user="woolybanana"]Get some of that slug death poison and spread it round or enclose a hundred hungry hedgehogs who will happily munch the things all nite. Or get used to them.[/quote]

Thanks Woolybanana - I may be a novice, but surely slug poison would be a slow death to the hedgehog family too.

Maybe there's other organic methods for removal of pests?

Yes, that is the downside, maybe you could try cinders, I seem to remember they work too. Maybe some plants repel them too.

Ultimately you won't win and will just have to get rubber gloves - you know the type that doctors wear when they stick their fingers ......

Archived