Complete France Forum

Maison de Retraite

velcorin

There was a family discussion over Christmas regarding my MiL planning to move into retirement accomodation sometime in the future, but no date has been fixed yet. Things got a bit "fraught" (loud), when she wasn't there, regarding this. Basically, under the French system, she has to pay for everything herself, until she has no money or assetsl eft, then her children have to pay.

Arguements ensued, it seems they expect my wife and I, to pick up a large part of the cost, because we could afford it. My wife was adamant this wasn't going to happen, which seems to have somewhat upset what little relationship she has with her sisters.

I am hoping someone may be able to point me in the direction of an idiots guide (French or English) which deals with the financial side of retirement homes in France. I need to research this for myself before I discuss it with my wife, personally I don't have a problem with subsidising her sisters' contributions, as they are less able to afford the costs, but I need to be well prepared before talking to her. I've tried the people at work, but haven't had any sensible answers.

Archived