Complete France Forum

Water butts abd zinc downpipes

woolybanana

Here in the Pas de C. it is very dry in summer and I have loadsa plants in pots which need watering, so would like to put in some water butts to keep costs down. But, the downpipes being zinc, I was wondering how one goes about breaking into them to install a draw off pipe. Obviously, plastic is so much easier, I suspect.

Is it a DIY job or do I need a plumber?

Any thought please?

[quote user="woolybanana"]Here in the Pas de C. it is very dry in summer and I have loadsa plants in pots which need watering, so would like to put in some water butts to keep costs down. But, the downpipes being zineec, I was wondering how one goes about breaking into them to install a draw off pipe. Obviously, plastic is so much easier, I suspect.

Is it a DIY job or do I need a plumber?

Any thought please?[/quote]

Easy peesy, buy diverter, read instructions use hack saw as per normal, add diverter. Just make sure the gap you chop out is the correct size. You may have to undo one of the drain pipe clamps temporarily to enable you to fit the diverter. Bon chance.

Or try this:

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00CRE9QE8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No need to cut zinc pipe. It comes with a hole saw so you need a drill and screwdriver. Took me five minutes to fix.

I've had a problem with my diverters as they eventually get clogged with moss, bits of leaves, catkins, etc which manage to get past the grid at the top of the pipe, so become less and less effective.

So you may need one you can get to easily to clean out each year.

As others have said easy peasy. I have both those where you cut through the down pipe and also those as Kong shows where you just drill a hole. The comment I would make about the latter is that they are less efficient in collecting than the others - at least that is the case with my 80mm zinc downpipes. Two possible reasons:

1 the rubber collector that sits inside the pipe has to adapt to different pipe sizes and maybe it is stretching things a bit for a small diameter pipe or

2 leaves that may cause this kind of collector to stop working as well.

But either works well enough if you are not trying to capture every last drop (We often are) and of the two the type here you drill a hole is easier to install - not that either is difficult.

Archived