Complete France Forum

Double Nationality

NormanH

Just a couple of things.

Norman and I are at different ends of the age spectrum.

I left the UK to work in Germany after getting my degree. I can do the work I like, I have a better work to life ratio, I get treated far better than the UK and I get a much higher salary. The type of work that I wanted to do is not available in the UK. Later on I hope to work for other manufacturers elsewhere in the EU so to have an EU nationality make life so much easier than being a UK citizen. Having just a residence card is a hinderance because it is so limiting for me personally.

Why Norman decided to get his or indeed any of the others who have posted here that got theirs I do not know and to be honest it's not that important to me.

At the last UK census in 2011 there were 137,867 French living in the UK. However the French Embassy claim there are 300,000 just in London based on those who applied to vote in the last national French elections. London is unofficially classed as Frances sixth largest city.

There are also large populations of French living in Nottingham, Leicester and Brighton which are financial centres for one form of financial activity or another.

Canada has always been a big choice for the French because of language. French Scholars often end up in the US.

There are also large groups of French in Spain and we have some in Germany (around 114,000 apparently). So in short many, particularly young French, are leaving France mainly because they can move around the EU to live and work due to having an EU nationality and passport.

I wouldn't normally quote a British expat newspaper source because they are not always correct so take it as you want but this link may give an idea.

https://www.thelocal.fr/20160316/french-expats-are-becoming-more-

So you may well be right, the natives move out and the immigrants from the old French colonies move in so as to keep the status quo with regards to overall population. Probably explains why France is so racists especially in north, bit like northern Germany. Perhaps there is something about being from the north of Europe. So apart from the racism thing I love living where I do for the moment.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic