Complete France Forum

Removals from France to the UK

Hi, We are living near Perpignan in the Pyrenees Oriental. We are returning to the UK in August and are trying to find a removals lorry that is returning to the UK empty at the beginning of August. Can anyone help us or have you got any experiences to share re cheapest way of doing this? Thanks.

I remember that at least twice a month you used to see English removal lorries pass through where I live down to Perpignan and on to Spain but you post just made me think that I have not seen one for many, many months. Usually they used to be quite grateful of a load to take back to the UK. Perhaps if you look around on the Internet for removal companies that move people too Spain you might get a deal on the move back.

Hmmm, we moved our stuff back a couple of years ago and I innocently asked if they could do a pick up on their way home. No one laughed, well, not outloud, but they said that they had a business to run and they would do a best price. You need to shop around and maybe get someone from the north of England rather than the London area, I found several companies to be cheaper and had to work out their dates and ours before deciding which to use.

Us, it cost, thousands and thousands to get our stuff back and into storage so no filling a house when they got to the UK. French companies all gave estimates of twice the price.

My friend moved last year and only had a small amount, well in comparison to us and did a deal with one of the companies that advertise small load pick ups, but they didn't send the right size van, and they had been clear about what size they would need, having done several self removals in France over the past few years. It was a right mess on with her neighbours being kind enough to take in some of their things until they could come back, which they did, eventually. Cost them around £1500.

Archived