Complete France Forum

Evening meals....too much !!

Miki

A state of semi-retirement?  Most of our UK visitors seem to think we are both on permanent holiday.  Cue hysterical laughter from both hosts.

LOL Cassis! you obviously look so cool, calm and collected that they think you are totally at ease and on holiday 365 days of the year.[:)]

Congratulations to Miki and family, enjoy your evenings[;-)]

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote user="Miki"][quote] Do you think I could get away with telling my family that I don`t do meals in this heat [/quote]

Well you might be able to, if you had done 40 plus machine loads of washing and all the associated ironing that week plus changed or cleaned up to 40 odd bedrooms that week. That's without all the constant maintenance inc gardening, 100 plus breakfasts and quite a few other tasks around the property other than that........................cooking for 4, even in 120º F is a walk in the old park, n'est pas [:)]

[/quote]

OMG you guys really do deserve your money.  All this is before the 'guests' arrive and reading past posts about complaints on top of everything else.  I can honestly say, I would end up sitting on death row saying "What happened? I dont remember anything".

Funny thing is though I watch all these programmes and think.  What an easy life.  One long holiday look.

Thanks Gill, we have 6 meals tonight though, as we did take their

reservation along with a demand for meals but after a few nights

off.....we are OK with working tonight.

Katie, I have to say that I also look at some of the programmes and don't

recognise what is being shown ! They are often told just how easy it

is to convert the pile of bricks in to a dynamic, fortune taking Bed and

Breakfast, open the door, open the satchel and whoosh, in pours the

dosh ! Work..what work ?

On one programme I recall, a couple said they were looking forward to

opening their chalet B&B type affair in the Alps and when the

programme went back to check them out a couple of months after their

opening, they both looked totally worn out. And only a short while

before they thought it would be all skiing and après-ski !!

I think running a place with just a couple of rooms and holding out for

longer stays (no one, perhaps not even two nighters) no evening meals,

as well as going  upmarket so as to charge more (position

and decor then very important) would be ideal but that is then only for

pin money or to top up a pension and those places sometimes really get

my back up, as I have known a few doing it like that and totally on the

black.....Grrr........

[quote user="Miki"]On one programme I recall, a couple said they were looking forward to opening their chalet B&B type affair in the Alps and when the programme went back to check them out a couple of months after their opening, they both looked totally worn out. And only a short while before they thought it would be all skiing and après-ski !!

[/quote]

I think I saw that one before we came here Miki.  Didn't they think that after breakfast they would be able to go out ski-ing themselves and then just totter back to serve afternoon tea of home-baked cakes?

I too, lived in a fools paradise before we started this malarkey.  I imagined that we would have days at the coast, seafood lunches and be able to visit every tourist site in the area to be able to give our guests uptodate personal views on which were the best places to visit......... then I woke up with a bump.  We've been here for 3 years now and are still embarrassed to admit to our guests that we really can't give a view on whether the Memorial de Caen is worth a visit because we haven't had a chance to get there yet!

Ditto.  We've got 12,500 acres of public forest on the other side of the field from us and in 2 years I've had just 3 bike rides to explore.  Guests have seen red deer, chevreuil and wild boar.  We've seen a squirrel who occasionally pops over the field to visit.

We've sent loads of people to visit the Chateau de Carrouges just near Alençon - hope to get there one day!

[quote]  I too, lived in a fools paradise before we started this malarkey.  I

imagined that we would have days at the coast, seafood lunches and be

able to visit every tourist site in the area to be able to give our

guests uptodate personal views on which were the best places to

visit......... then I woke up with a bump.[/quote]

I defy anyone to think they thought it would be as hard and tough as it has turned out for them.

I know of very few people in France that have done more than 10 years

or so in either the B&B or Gîte business. But I know many that have

packed it in, sold and moved on within a few years. I have to say, we

had not done anything like this in the UK before moving here, we had no

one we could ask, or a forum to ask questions...but even with all the

negativities written, I bet we would have still had a bash, just like

many are still doing now !

The only downside, may be reading of just how many are now doing

B&B or Gîtes and that is one thing newcomers should seriously be

studying, there simply has to be a point at which areas will eventually

(if not already) be flooded by too many  B&B's, Gîtes etc to

make a decent income from and sadly, it will invariably be in the

cheaper areas where one can buy the fair sized properties at

comparatively low cost compared to back in the UK. The trouble is, that

it might then be too late to realise this once bought. They are cheap

for a reason and trade will all too often be inline with the price of

the area and houses within that region. Not hard and fast of course but

in the majority of times I have found, it is a good benchmark for

whether a place will be able to offer a decent income from what is

basically a tough business..

Spot on, Miki.  We spent three years in semi-serious research looking at possible areas (we knew we wanted north of the Loire, easy drive to Channel ports) looking at estate agent details, tourism figures, road links, tourist routes and destinations, looking at the quality and number of B&Bs in the areas we visited and talking to the tourist boards and Gites de France about levels of occupancy in B&Bs in those areas.  Once we had decided 'roughly' on the area (based on set-up cost and likely occupancy levels) then the year before we moved we visited at various times of year - winter, spring, autumn, summer - before starting to look seriously for a property.  By then we had a checklist of what we needed and what we wanted in terms of the location and the property, lest we be swayed by dreams rather than realities.  We were lucky to find (almost) what we wanted in our first week of looking, about the twentieth place that we looked at that week. 

I read somewhere that the number of B&Bs has quadrupled in the last 5 years - does that tally with anyone else's figures?  I don't see how that can carry on.

We are doing okay up to now but if another good B&B opened within 5 miles of us I suspect it would be touch and go whether this would be viable for us, as we are not in a tourist hot spot for Brits.  Were that to happen I doubt if either we or the newcomer would make enough from B&B alone.

Up to now it has tended to be only the French who have come for longer stays with us, while most Brits just stop off on a mad dash to the south (apart from the three big Le Mans race weekends each year).  We have persuaded some to stop off for longer on return trips, though, once they know what the area has to offer.  If we could turn more around in this way it would make for a lot less bed and towel changing!

Miki & Cassis - I know what you mean - but  I suspect that even if anyone had pointed out how hard work this was I would still have done it.  Earlier this year I really was wondering if it was worth it, as I reckon if I simply had a 3 bed house to rent out in the UK I would make as much if not more money and not have all this work.  I love meeting people and we have some great fun; but there is a lot of sheer drudgery.  We could not earn enough here to live on, but I can't get a job so this is our second income.  We probably earn as much from B & B as my husband does from his salaried job and with the 2 things put together we get by.

I think one of the problems with all the programmes on TV is that they say how cheap it is to live in France, e.g. the local taxes are always for a small 2 bedroomed house, but the reality is that we have a very large 6 bedroomed house and our taxes are high, as are our heating, electric, water bills so we need to make a reasonable amount of money just to keep the place standing.

I too wish we could get more long stays, but the reality for B & Bs is that most people are 2 or 3 nights.  I think we all feel jaded this year with the heat, but I also think that we all feel we have to be more and more present and attentive to keep our share of the market as the choice gets wider.  Being nice all the time takes its toll.

Think of me Miki as you sit with your feet up tonight, whilst I am cooking a beastly gigot and pretending I love feeding them all.

[quote] Think of me Miki as you sit with your feet up tonight, whilst I am

cooking a beastly gigot and pretending I love feeding them all.[/quote]

I wish !! As I said, we are honouring all those that booked meals and

tonight, it means 10 eating. Although only 6 had pre-reserved, we had a family of 4

ask at breakfast and soft as we are, we could hardly refuse.

I think that our dastardly plan will not actually kick in until next

year !! Although this year, if we have no dinners booked on any 

night, we are then saying to anyone that requests evening meals, that we are not cooking that night.

Here's a good un.

Call this morning, "Can we ask you what the choice of menu is for **

August, as we have 4 kids from 10-16 years old in the group who are

pretty fussy on what they eat"

Well firstly is "fussy" really the right word ? I would say, rather allowed to eat whatever they want is more the phrase myself !!

So, I say to her, "Sorry but we are not allowed to offer more than one

choice" and of course, strictly by the regs, I am quoting quite

correctly.

"Oh I can't believe that" Madam replies

Miki bites tongue and fist at the same time.

"Sorry but that is true"

"Well what do you propose" says Madam.

"I propose McDonalds Madam" says I to a 30 second silence........................

"Oh, OK then, see you soon" says Madam

"Safe trip" say I

I'm getting the hang of this no evening meals in peak season already..................

OK, you can say I was rude but I did say it in a jolly nice manner and

after all, we are not an hotel or a restaurant, just a small simple bed

and breakfast who as a service, offer evening meals of one choice only,

doing 8 different meals kind of p******s off the chef, who then gives

me grief. So given the choice, I guess I would rather the guests got

the strops !!

[quote user="Miki"]Here's a good un.

Well firstly is "fussy" really the right word ? I would say, rather allowed to eat whatever they want is more the phrase myself !!

[/quote]

I find myself liking you more each new post!  .......I just love grumpy old gits in France [img]http://bestsmileys.com/angry2/11.gif[/img]

Ah, marvellous, Miki.  I like your style!

Perhaps we can extend this concept.  Jude gave me grief today about the amount of washing and ironing to do in this heat.  Should I suggest:

a)  We'll not not do rooms peak season

b)  We'll only change the bedding and towels once a week instead of after each guest

c)  We'll get the guests to bring their own towels and linen

d)  I'll help you with it more often

Scratch the last one. [;-)]

Nothing much wrong with all that Cassis except, why not stop doing

rooms all year, less hassle, no bed linen at all to do, no food, no

towels, no guests. Now we're getting somewhere, if we stick together we can get rid of B&B altogether.

For some of us,  that somewhere might well be outside Lidl, with rover......................[:)]

Miki wrote

"Nothing much wrong with all that Cassis except, why not stop doing rooms all year, less hassle, no bed linen at all to do, no food, no towels, no guests"

...................................................and..........

.........................................................NO MONEY![8-|]

[quote user="Miki"]Here's a good un.

Call this morning, "Can we ask you what the choice of menu is for ** August, as we have 4 kids from 10-16 years old in the group who are pretty fussy on what they eat"

So, I say to her, "Sorry but we are not allowed to offer more than one choice" and of course, strictly by the regs, I am quoting quite correctly.

"Oh I can't believe that" Madam replies

Miki bites tongue and fist at the same time.
"Sorry but that is true"

"Well what do you propose" says Madam.

"I propose McDonalds Madam" says I to a 30 second silence........................

[/quote]

There are only two words I can find to describe your attitude in this situation, Miki:

B****y Brilliant!!!!!!![:D]

Or complete mugs, I have a friend  who would cook 5 different meals per night..............for 5 members of her own family, herself included!

The only time seperate meals are offered in our house is when we, me and Mr O fancy a hot curry and then the girls get to choose something they can agree on..... usualy either baked spuds with tuna,sweetcorn and tons of mayo or bean and cheese toasties.

[quote user="wen"]I agree, but, dare I suggest...they were english?.

Fussy kids in my house would starve. All five know that. Its laziness

on the parents side of course.[/quote]

No need to dare to suggest Wen, bleedin'' obvious innit....all Brits, natch !

No email today, as she said she would, if they wanted chicken breasts

in whatever sauce or coating Tina fancied doing on the night or smoked

salmon and salads, so I guess they were a No from the kids then and

good ole Big mac wins on points !

Glad you were amused by it Gill but it does make you wonder how it will

all turn out in the end with that family. I think Mrs O and Wen have it

right. Some Mums are making things pretty tough for themselves by not

sticking to their guns and making the kids eat all the same food. OK,

on ocasions such as having a Ruby, some kids might prefer

something else (although some years ago whilst still in London, the

kids would wait up for me to get home, as they knew their Mum had rung

me to get takeaway from the local Chinese or Indian on my way home)

Couldn't agree more - fussy eaters tend to be the offspring of over indulgent parents who have given in to childish whims. Afraid I was rather more old fashioned and dinner was what was served 1 choice only and if I did a pudding - it was only served to those who eaten their first course. And for kids that thought they'd play up - well they sat at the table at mealtimes anyway and if they didn't eat then they went hungry to the next meal time.... you only have to meake good on that threat once or twice.

Good manners don't cost anything and I couldn't stand having kids messing around at mealtimes. I think I probably belong in the "grumpy" brigade as very few of our friends make their kids sit up or eat the meal that's served - then they wonder why 20 minutes after a meal their little darlings are stuffing their faces with crisps or chocolates...... then say but you're so lucky you don't have fussy eaters - there's no luck about it  .... just some common sense

Result 3 unfussy boys who eat most things and can hold an inteligent conversation with anyone around a diner table. Not only that I know if they say they don't like something - they really mean it.  Which means that this week when I don't have any of them at home hubby and I can have warm bacon and chicken liver salad to our hearts content and maybe if the waether cools down some liver and bacon in onion gravy

Re curries - Hubby likes his hot - so I cook a mild - medium version for the rest of us and about the time I put the rice on - take his portion out of the main pot and add extra chilli to his and just simmer for about 15 minutes....

Miki & Cassis - reading all the above makes me wonder whether we could start a new holiday trend - the DIY B & B.  Jude, Tina and I could stand over them in the kitchen shouting if they spill anything.  You blokes could preside over the laundry, bed making and gardening, deducting points from anyone who didn't do hospital corners or missed a few pots of geraniums when watering.  Those who really enjoyed it could come back during the off season (for a higher rate of course) to do a little light decorating. Any takers do you reckon???[6]

Well you can put me down for it !!

I am an official BST patron (Basil's School of Thought). All we need

here now, is the Major and the two old dears and I shall feel right at

home !!

We have some Canadians in here right now (nearly midday) been here 3

days and as far as seeing any of the

region.........................pretty much zilch really ! They want the kids to

sleep in today, as yesterday they were all out from midday until 10 in

the evening......ages, 12, 18 & 20...poor little waifs !!

They have done 5 washloads at one per day and two right now (we charge 6 euros inc

powder or liquid) but instead of doing the washing early or even late

at night which Tina says is preferable for her, so that we have the

machines at the time we need them, around 10.30 until whenever the

washing is done, they have just gone in to the laundry room and

put on two lots in the two machines, thus stopping us from

using them at a time that we really need to be using them ! Grumble

grumble.......Oh and they can't eat here they say (hooray) as their

kids all eat different foods and so do the parents. We said how sorry

we were to hear of that and gave them the number of the restos we think

might enjoy their company !!

Oh and of course, we can't wash the floor until they go out, never mind

........................we only wanted to go shopping to get some food,

buy a few bits and pieces in the shops and generally try and relax a

bit later in a little café, even a PMU for a little flutter.........................whinge, grumble, mumble......have a

nice day  y'all[;-)]

I wonder.....can you officially employ chucker outers in B&B's ?

Now compare that to a French family from Lourmarin, darn sarf, 

who are here for 8 nights and eating on 7 (yes I know we don't do food

in peak but they booked demi pension back in February). Kids of 12

& 14 and all eating exactly the same, without a murmur and are just

great. Up and eaten breakfast by 10h00, out by around 10h30 and back at

19h00 for a freshen up, dinner started at 19h30 and coffee taken and

finished by 21h30. I would give them a discount if I could afford it

but I shall hug them all instead when they leave ! Tina may well have

to tear me away as I beg them to stay another month...........

Soccer season soon........

I was thinking, you know how people charge for having cookery courses and the like - they pay to cook their own dinners.  How about it Miki?

I thought we might also instruct them on how to repoint old stonework and charge them for re-rendering our house.

A winner?

[quote] I thought we might also instruct them on how to repoint old

stonework and charge them for re-rendering our house.[/quote]

Yes, why not and we are also thinking of introducing a rota for a few

artisans. Mechanics can stay here and pay us to service our cars,

cleaning ladies can have a busmans holiday, gardeners from Wisley can

come and practice their art on our clay ridden excuse for a garden,

artists can come and paint the outside of the house,  I mean the

actual windows and dormers of course! Lots of things we could put in to

practice but I do like the sound of guests cooking for themselves and

on the way out,  bunging some dosh in the satchel [;-)]

Archived