Complete France Forum

Pool surround

Magnolia

We've just bought a property from which we will be running a B&B and gite business and therefore wanted to know what we need to surround the pool with to make it secure and legal? We've had conflicting information. One person saying that we can have a pool alarm and someone else saying that we must have it fenced. I recently asked our Mairie and he's not sure as the legislation keeps changing. Can someone please shed some light on this matter for me.

Many thanks

Magnolia ..........

Suggest you do a search on 'Pool Security' or words to that effect.  There's loads on the subject from people who are well qualified to give good advice.  Be patient and be prepared to go back several pages - it's not a very 'current' subject just now.

• 2 weeks later...

I can only suggest a really good fence. Alarms only work after a child has fallen in and only when someone is attentive enough to hear it and act; no good if Mum is in the shower. It takes 3 short minutes to drown.  A fence at least five foot high with only verticle barring; nothing horizontal where a child can get a foot hold. No outdoor chairs/tables near the fence either as kids drag them over to the fence for a hitch over. The gate should have it's opening 'latch' at least at adult height. Forget about legislation, get a good fence around it. Eleven children have drowned in Australian backyard pools in the past 2 weeks, some in those baby paddling pools. There is no topic I am more fervent about.

Fence the bloody thing and fence it properly.

Here, here Jura and I speak as someone who knows of a friend who lost her 6 year old who drowned in a pool AND I have a 12 year old second cousin who now has learning difficulties from a near-death experience in a pool when he was 3.  There is some legislation that is totally unnecessary but the introduction of these rules was a good idea.  Please fence in and don't rely on an alarm.

Thank you to both Jura and Cathy

I've been trying to persuade my husband that this is the way to go so he might listen now. One of my biggest fears is having a child drown in the pool and I don't think i'd be able to live with myself thereafter.

Have a good xmas

There's a multitude of information about this subject if you search either on this site or on Google (France pool security).

You say that you want to make your pool secure and legal - your pool can be legal by the addition of an alarm but if the alarm isn't heard or responded to in time then it may not stop a child drowning, but it would be legal from the authority point of view and probably from the assurance point of view. A security fence to AFNOR norms will be legal and should certainly make your pool secure - so long as the gate is not wedged open as does sometimes happen.

If you are going to put your own fence up around the pool, be it 5 inches or 5 yards high then also fit and alarm. If you fit your own fence then it will almost certainly NOT comply with the regulations! It does not matter how good/strong/safe/high it is if it doesn't have that magic AFNOR mark on it then as you are running a gite you are going to be checked and will have to close your pool. The fence and gate may be bullet proof, but you will need and alarm that complies so that will also comply!

As a matter of interest, if you are caught non-complying you could face a 45,000€ fine and if there is a mortal accident to a child you can add the charge of manslaughter too!

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy and safe 2008!! Good luck...

Archived