Complete France Forum

solar rings

Has anyone any experience of using solar rings. A bit like a blow up pizza!

I have covered about 70% of the surface area and sure enough even in this weather (dep 24) the pool went from 14 to 23 degrees in 3 weeks - The problem is controlling chlorine.

The filtration runs for 12 hrs / day and the chlorinator is set to minimum but runs when the pump does (salt water system)

The chlorine is at 3 ppm .

I assume that because the pool is totally covered at night and 70% covered in the day the loss of chlorine is minimal and the doser (electroliser - if thats a word) continues to add chlorine or could the fact that I am having trouble lowering the pH also contribute.

Anyone tried these rings or any budding physical chemists got any ideas.

I was going to sign poolboy but thats wishful thinking 

We have been testing sun rings for a while now to check out the claims of the manufacturers and so far we are quite impressed.   When you use solar sun rings they will reduce the amount of chlorine 'burnt off', thus reducing the amount of chemicals used.   The amount you have at 3ppm is not excessive but at the higher end as generally you should be aiming for 1-3ppm.   I would not be concerned at this stage and when the summer is fully upon us you may find that you have to adjust again because of regular usage.   High pH affects the way your chlorine will work - it is less efficient.   The solar sun rings will not completely cover the pool and generally you aim for 70-80% coverage which means that you will not generally suffer a significant increase in alkalinity (not in itself a huge issue but don't let it run away).   Low alkalinity will cause pH bounce and on most ocassions will cause low pH.   Get into the habit of checking alkalinity as well as pH and chlorine.   Adjust your alkalinity before adjusting pH as by making this adjustment you may find the pH will be ok.   However, if you have high pH, you can obviously apply pH minus but if you do not wish to create chemcial soup you may want to just replenish some of the water.   pH minus will also reduce the alkalinity.

Solar sun rings are a reasonably cost effective way of getting heat into the water as they produce over 21,000 BTU a day which equates to about 1,070 BTU per sq ft.   A top of the range solar heater will only produce about 1,000 BTU a day and unlike typical bubble wrap covers they do not trap children and animals under them if they fall in.

Please feel free to PM or email me if you want further information

The P's said: Sorry about the typo errors in the second paragraph, I was distracted temporarily and forgot to check it before posting.

You can correct them if you want, using the edit button on the right hand side of your post.

Archived