Complete France Forum

LED lighting

Jonzjob

Now my pool is ready for the new liner I am contemlating changing the tungsten lamps for LEDs. All I want to do is to replace the actual lamp, not the surround as well if that's possible?

Is it possible to get just the LED lamps for this job? Also, it's a wacking great transformer for the lamps at the moment, chucking out 12V AC. I was always under the impression that LEDs needed DC, but the bloke replacing the liner assures me that the transformer does not need replacing, that he has fitted 3 replacements today and it isn't a problem. OK, I am now confused [8-)]

He is probably right, the LED will have at the very minimum a blocking diode to prevent it being blown by being reverse biased (+ and - reversed) and almost certainly a capacitor so will run from an AC supply even if it wasnt designed to which it probably is.

Personally John, I would get an LED driver, these are much better regulated and will ensure the LED's last longer. standard transformers drift in voltage and spike, both are serious issues for LED's.  There is normally a good market for the old transformers but be quick LED's are catching on fast.

I went out this afternoon and had a lok at the LED replacement. It said on the box that the input is 12v AC.. So it has to have the kit on board to rectify and stabilise the current.

Anyway. I got 2 to replace the tungsten jobbies. Part of the reason to do the change now is that I would be very peed off if I filled the pool and had a light fail because they had been pulled about all over the place. If you remember, the light cables are only about 18" long and DON'T alow for the light to be removed to above the water line! And, no there is no access without removing the surround slabs [:-))]

Biggest problem? Bruddy expensive [:-))][:-))]

The light cables should be long enough to to reach the surface + or someones short changing you.  The cost varies as does the construction technique.  The water leaks around the gland fitting usually so the ones I have don't have a gland so no leak!  When I say have, I haven't any stock at the moment as they sell themselves right off the page and it's 3-4 weeks before new stock arrives.  Seen some pretty nasty looking ones recently and only one other that really is the biz but that one was expensive but quality.

Archived