Complete France Forum

Opticians

Gyn_Paul

I can but wonder why you didn't get your specs when you got your prescription in the UK. Aren't glasses cheaper there? My husband has broken his frames and I had a look at the price of the same frames in the UK when I was back recently, £35 for the frames. Here the replacement ones have cost 116 euros.

Still if you have a very good mutualist, I suppose that it could be kif kif.

Yes, they most certainly do.  In fact, I had to buy some replacement contact lenses in Bordeaux recently and when I went in and just asked to buy some, giving details of the correction, etc., the optician said, "don't you have a prescription from your UK optician?  I can't sell them to you without one, unless you allow me to examine you."  So obviously no problem.  M

thanks to all for the replies:

Teamedup : Yes, I would have had them made up in the UK had we had the time. I went to the opticians and had the eye test, and arranged to follow it up with a c/lens test and then choose some frames. The price being dependent on whether I needed to buy different strength c/lenses or not. However family affairs interviened (sp?) and I had to cancel, so came back here with the job half-done.

p

• 5 months later...
If you had the problem now then you would find it much easier and cheaper. I had my eyes tested in the UK on my last visit then somewhat inconviently broke my glasses a few months later. I found an internet site in the uk for replacements. Just needed to input the prescription details online, choose my frames and presto - new pair arrived in the post. Cost £15 (including lenses) and £2.50 postage. The company is spexmaniac (www.spexmaniac.co.uk)

Archived