Hello All,

It appears there is going to be some relaxation in the withdrawal of
affiliation via CMU.  I would emphasize there has been no official
announcement yet.  It concerns those people with pre-existing
conditions.  It looks as though it will be possible that if it is
difficult to obtain private insurance or such premiums would be
exhorbitant  then affiliation via CMU can be maintained.  Each case
will be dealt with on its individual merits.  Whilst this is very
hopeful the devil will be in the detail.

Somebody undergoing cancer treatment I would think therefore is
unlikely to have disruption in treatment.  But what about someone
who, for example, has high blood pressure but is well controlled
through medication?  Because a private insurer will exclude all
claims relating to the cardio vascular system so would not pay out in
the event of a stroke or heart attack.

And if one can affiliate via CMU will a dependant be also covered if
he/she is in good health and would be accepted by a private insurance
on standard terms?  As CMU "cotisations" are based on the household
income ("foyer fiscal") then logically the household should be
covered.

Hopefully clarification will be obtained in the near future on these
matters but I remain cautiously optimistic.

Regards

Peter Owen

He seams to confirm what I said at the start of this thread ......has nobody else been to their doctor yet , my you are a fit lot on CF [;-)]

Cooperlola, we have not had the official letter, the lady at CPAM asked if we had received 'the letter' when we said no she gave us a print out of it.  It does not mention 100% conditions but when my oh said I was on 100% prise en charge for diabetes she pointed to the paragraph which said necessary to get other insurance and this was not her concern.  Of course, this is not fully sorted yet and it may be that certain conditions will continue to be covered and fonctionnaires are not yet up to speed on this but our mutuelle (and another assurance maladie provider) have told us they will give us cover and they are not concerned about the diabetes - we await 2 quotes.  I am ever optimistic that something wil be sorted out by 31 March so not getting into a panic yet.

[quote user="krusty"]

.....has nobody else been to their doctor yet , my you are a fit lot on CF [;-)]

[/quote]

Yes, I've been several times in the last couple of weeks [:$]

On thursday my doc asked me about it as he'd heard rumblings about the changes.  I explained the situation to him - he wasn't fully aware of the changes ahead.

Isn't all this getting a bit carried away?  What has really happened?  A doctor who speaks little English says, to a patient who by his own admission does not speak French, existing conditions will be covered?  This is no more or less likely to be the case than that described by the CPAM lady of the whole CMU base closing down in March 2008.

The whole debate is getting fractious with new threads being started all over the place and more are appearing to be like a bloke down the bar told me. so its true.

Can I ask if Peter Owen has definitive and authorative information from an official French source about what will happen when E 106s run out in December or existing CMU members with pre-existing conditions are excluded in March, can he please post it in the breaking news thread set up for that purpose.  Just a thought on all this, if. and a big IF, it is true about existing conditions continuing to be covered by the CMU, does that mean that the rest of us are being discriminated against for being healthy?  If the object of this exercise is to save money by excluding inactifs from the CMU,  it makes no sense at all to include those who are going to cost more and exclude those who pay more in than they take out so to speak, but then again this is France[Www]

I agree Ron, speculation is useless. I understand there is a more complete circular on its way to CPAMs, with full info' about the 5 year rule etc but nobody (unless a high-up in a French governement department) actually knows what is in it so the cirular convesations are somewhat pointless, I suppose.  But it's a time when everybody is looking for re-assurance, so I guess it is inevitable. Financially, if existing and chronic conditions do get covered by the CMU then that will be a victory for us, but as you say, a nonsense as far as cost savings go.  But, as I and others on here have often thought, it just re-inforces the idea that this is a political move and that "foreigners" are an easy target.  "Look, I'm doing something to save you money, and it won't affect you!" is a great political message, isn't it? It offends only those who have no right to vote.  Humph.

[quote user="cooperlola"] Financially, if existing and chronic conditions do get covered by the CMU then that will be a victory for us, but as you say, a nonsense as far as cost savings go.  But, as I and others on here have often thought, it just re-inforces the idea that this is a political move and that "foreigners" are an easy target.  "Look, I'm doing something to save you money, and it won't affect you!" is a great political message, isn't it? It offends only those who have no right to vote.  Humph.[/quote]  I agree Cooperlola.  My good lady wife runs a local choir, when she came back last night she told me that the English had been asked by a French lady, "How is it that you English get healthcare without paying into our system?"   Obviously the word is getting out from somewhere! 

[quote user="lebois"][quote user="cooperlola"] Financially, if existing and chronic conditions do get covered by the CMU then that will be a victory for us, but as you say, a nonsense as far as cost savings go.  But, as I and others on here have often thought, it just re-inforces the idea that this is a political move and that "foreigners" are an easy target.  "Look, I'm doing something to save you money, and it won't affect you!" is a great political message, isn't it? It offends only those who have no right to vote.  Humph.[/quote]  I agree Cooperlola.  My good lady wife runs a local choir, when she came back last night she told me that the English had been asked by a French lady, "How is it that you English get healthcare without paying into our system?"   Obviously the word is getting out from somewhere! 

[/quote]If misinformed.. Not pay?  My a***.   I take it your wife put them right?

Morning Ron , my point was my doctor said he had had a letter about the changes , and I thought surely other doctors in France must also have been informed .That is why I suggested other members of CF could ask their doctors , even if they do not need a visit a phone question might reveal something ?

Morning

Our Doctor, who is excellent ( aren’t they all ) says all

his UK and Dutch ? Patients are asking him about the changes. He’s had no

correspondence about the changes ( as of 

the 23rd Oct. )  He’s promised to

make some enquires and let me know ( Guéret )

Joshua[:)]

Archived