british embassy

tigerfeet

they need to update their website ,it still has this advice

In France, it is normally possible for people living there without any
other form of sickness insurance cover to join the Couverture Maladie
Universelle (CMU) scheme. This is a low cost contribution-based health
insurance scheme. They will need to make enquiries about this with the
French Embassy or at the local sickness insurance office - Caisse Primaire
d'Assurance-Maladie (CPAM) - in France, when they move there.

http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1113059900934

What still continues to worry me is that there is no mention of dependants on that page.

The following is extracted from the page that Cooperlola quotes.

People already over retirement age who are holders of an E121 which is

registered with the French authorities will remain unaffected.

E-mail sent :

"Dear Sir

I am disturbed to note that your website
http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1113059900934
continues to suggest to prospective movers to France, that they are able to join the French state healthcare system.  It has been quite clear to "those in the know" that the French government is withdrawing this right from non-nationals.  Even your sister site in the UK reflects this:
http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1165343995323#health
And furthermore, no mention is made of the fact that dependents are included on most E forms.
Given that life-changing decisions may be based on your information, surely you have a duty of care to ensure that it is at least correct?"

• 2 weeks later...

Just to keep everybody up to date on my response re this - I got this reply this morning:

"Thank you for your message.  I am sorry that you do not find the information we have given out to be sufficient.  However, we are only giving out the information which the French Ministry of Health has given us.  This is French law, therefore all the information we publish has been issued by the French authorities. 

I assure you that the information on our website is, to this date, accurate.  Our Health Attaché is in regular contact with the French government and we update our website according to the information we are given by the French Ministry of Health.

There has been no change in the information given to us by the French Ministry of Health, therefore I confirm that the information on our website still stands."

So I replied:

"Thank you for replying to me.

However, I find your response very odd.  Considering that the French government itself has published this information on its Social Security website

Also, as said before, you OWN  site in the UK actually does seem to know about the above.

Are you saying that the French government has informed the FCO in London about the changes, but not those of you based in Paris.  I find that hard to believe!"

To which I got this response (it gets better, keep going..)

"Our website does not imply to prospective movers that they can continue to receive health care in France once they have settled here.  It sets out the elements of the new measure very clearly and all information on our website has been provided to us by the French Ministry of Health.  This is a French law, so we only communicate what the French Ministry of Health has communicated to us.

The link you refer to as our "sister site" in the UK, is our own site in Paris and the information is accurate and not in any way misleading:"

Me again:

"Thanks for that.  However, I'm sorry but to me, this ( a direct quote from the page I indicate)

"In France, it is normally possible for people living there without any other form of sickness insurance cover to join the Couverture Maladie Universelle (CMU) scheme. This is a low cost contribution-based health insurance scheme. They will need to make enquiries about this with the French Embassy or at the local sickness insurance office - Caisse Primaire d'Assurance-Maladie (CPAM) - in France, when they move there."

implies that CMU is possible - in fact however many times I read it,it still says that!  "There is a very slim chance that it might be possible in very rare circumstances" would appear to me to be a better way of putting it, the way things are going.  Especially as this is aimed at new movers to France and it suggests that they enquire once they have moved."

Then her again :

"You are looking at an out-of-date web page.  See the following link for the updated version:

Aha, I think, that's my problem; so I click on the link.... and....  guess what?  My next reply:

"Thanks.  I've followed that link and here's a quote from it:

"If you have been resident in France for longer than 3 months and have proof of income, you can apply to be covered by Universal Health Cover (Couverture Maladie Universelle or CMU). The CMU is a medical health cover scheme designed to ensure that everyone (people on low income or in receipt of the RMI Revenue Mininum d’Insertion) are covered by the Social Security for basic medical costs. It is not available to people already compulsorily insured under another scheme; e.g. if you are in salaried employment. For more information, in French, please visit the French Social Security site below:"

The amelie website to which this links (which is the healthcare, not the social security site, btw - different beasts altogether), still suggests - once you get there that the CMU does not discriminate against the non French born.

Ever felt like you were in a Whitehall farce?"

I await a further response.....[:-))]

I am surprised that anyone would expect a British Embassy to advise them on the law in France any more than I would expect a French Embassy to advise me on the law in the UK.

If you doubt me read the **** printed on your passport "......... without let or hindrance ..............". Perhaps someone should tell the mandarins of Whitehall that (sadly) Palmerston is long gone and the Navy doesn't have any gunboats to send anyway.

John

not

[quote user="Iceni"]

I am surprised that anyone would expect a British Embassy to advise them on the law in France any more than I would expect a French Embassy to advise me on the law in the UK.

If you doubt me read the **** printed on your passport "......... without let or hindrance ..............". Perhaps someone should tell the mandarins of Whitehall that (sadly) Palmerston is long gone and the Navy doesn't have any gunboats to send anyway.

John

not

[/quote]

The inner front page of my passport does not mention gunboats but contains a perfectly reasonable request albeit written in "diplomat-speak" so what exactly is your point in the above Palmerston / gunboat comment????? Perhaps you dont like the words "let or hindrance," however, they are perfectly normal English language.

It may be a rather nice turn of phrase but it means nothing - and IMHO harks back to the days when Britain was a great power. I cannot travel the world without let or hindrance (or a visa in many cases) and the days when HMG might have come galloping to rescue me from Johnny Foreigner are long gone.  As with the inaccurate info on the Embassy website, better to say nothing than mislead.

John

not

[quote user="Iceni"]

It may be a rather nice turn of phrase but it means nothing - and IMHO harks back to the days when Britain was a great power. I cannot travel the world without let or hindrance (or a visa in many cases) and the days when HMG might have come galloping to rescue me from Johnny Foreigner are long gone.  As with the inaccurate info on the Embassy website, better to say nothing than mislead.

John

not[/quote]

I still dont get your point Iceni, the whole statement is a request, it only means nothing if the person requested ignores the request. Nowhere on a passport does it state or imply that HMG would or might come galloping to rescue you, it never has said that, not even on the old blue one.

As a point of interest, there are still some places in the World where being British does actually mean special (ie preferential) treatment, a number of those are in the Middle East.

The Embassy and Consular staff do offer assistance and advice in case of emergency.

We had excellent service from the vice consul in Chicago earlier this year after my wifes sister died leaving a handicaped son .The vice consul went to the hospital,liased with us,met relatives at the airport,arranged the funeral,arranged for the handicaped son to be admitted to a care home,gave us legal advice,arranged for a lawyer and all at no charge.

She also apologised being absent for half a day as she had to visit a British citizen who had been arrested in another city in North west America.

So you could say that the Embassy staff come galloping to the rescue  

[quote user="powerdesal"]

As a point of interest, there are still some places in the World where being British does actually mean special (ie preferential) treatment, a number of those are in the Middle East.

[/quote]

I should hope so too - the bribes must bring some benefits.

John

not

Archived