Complete France Forum

Organ/Blood donation in France

Charlotte3

Last week my daughter proudly informed us that she would be giving blood at Lycee for the first time. She had checked and the fact that she isn't French is no problem. I found this surprising as I had read on this forum that it isn't possible to give blood in France unless you are French, and warned her that perhaps she had been missinformed at school - I didn't want her to be disappointed on the day. 

Anyway, the day arrived and she arrived home that night a bit disappointed; She had been refused,  but not because she isn't French....

Anyone, of any nationality can give blood in France, EXCEPT anyone who has stayed in the UK for a period of one year or more between 1980 and 1996, because of BSE. This also applies to organ donation, so I expect there will be many disappointed members of this forum as well as others.

It also reinforces my belief that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing and I do wish that people would check the facts before posting!

Aly 

English but am a registered organ donor in France which is allowed but not blood if you lived for ten years or more in the UK before 1996. You would be surprised how many medical people do not know this but until you actually try to register they will turn round and say NON.

[quote user="Poppy"]Just heard that a friend in UK instead of having funeral/burial is donating body to medical science. I think it's a great idea does anyone know if it's possible to do the same in France.[/quote]

If you do this I suggest you leave instructions for a Plan B, two people I knew  had left their bodies to medical science but when the time came medical science didn't want them !

[quote user="Russethouse"]

[quote user="Poppy"]Just heard that a friend in UK instead of having funeral/burial is donating body to medical science. I think it's a great idea does anyone know if it's possible to do the same in France.[/quote]

If you do this I suggest you leave instructions for a Plan B, two people I knew  had left their bodies to medical science but when the time came medical science didn't want them !

[/quote]

Oh dear thanks for the info RH. Will certainly make a Plan B, not much interest in my body now so anything could happen [:D]

There is a long reply to a letter in French News March  2008.Website address http://www.aphp.fr/site/actualitie/mag_donducorps.htm. The click on telecharger le brochure de l'AP/HP. From this site ou can choose a estblishment you wish to give your body to from a list of faculties of Medicine all over France who handle this service. You have to pay a contibution towards transport and cremation costs. In Toulouse for example the fee is €458.

[quote user="Jazzer"]

There is a long reply to a letter in French News March  2008.Website address http://www.aphp.fr/site/actualitie/mag_donducorps.htm. The click on telecharger le brochure de l'AP/HP. From this site ou can choose a estblishment you wish to give your body to from a list o faculties of Medicine all over France who handle this service. You haveto pay a contibution towards transport and cremation costs. In Toulouse for example the fee is €458.

[/quote]

Many thanks Jazzer for the link to the aphp site. Just had a quick look, quite tickled that the authorisation letter has to be hand written.Toulouse would be ideal for us and I guess costs are much cheaper than a funeral etc.

Sorry to hijack this thread a bit but just heard on the radio this morning that last year, in Luxembourg, there was only one body accepted as a donor for transplants (and then there were no details on what bits used)  It seems that people are not against it but the laws here are so incredibly restrictive.  Firstly you have to be a Lux citizen (why?), you have to have made your wishes known (fair enough), your relatives have to agree (well, ok, sort of) and here's the real kicker - 'The person must have died as a result of a brain illness'  Incredible!! So the very thing that everyone else is concerned about, ie Mad Moo Cow is OK.  If you were unfortunate enough to say suffer a car accident and die of blood loss, your otherwise healthy organs can not be used!!   This law is about to go under review, not least I suspect because  donor organs are regularly accepted from neighbouring countries without any such restrictions.

My parents have arranged to donate their bodies to medical science and have all the paperwork and authorisation through Toulouse.  There was no mention of an upper age limit, this was 5 years ago, my father is now 80.  Can't remember the cost off hand but didn't strike me as very cheap, will try and find out.  Sorry, forgot to mention they were living in the UK during the years mentioned.

JSA it would be great if you can find out the costs.

Missed the BBC2 prog but wish I had seen it. Both OH and myself feel that donation is by far the best thing to do.I know my parents would turn in their graves at the thought but I am very interested in what others think.

[quote user="Poppy"]Both OH and myself feel that donation is by far the best thing to do.I know my parents would turn in their graves at the thought but I am very interested in what others think.[/quote]

There was an interesting discussion about organ donation last year http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/3/985079/ShowPost.aspx#985079

(Start reading at the bottom of the page)

Archived