Complete France Forum

Colder weather = aching back

Mr Coeur de Lion

I remember somewhere on here (I have tried the search function to no avail), someone suggested something to take during the colder months when backs, limbs and bones start to ache. I've had a pain free summer, lost some weight (which I believed to be the reason for waking up every morning with a very stiff and sore back) but this morning, it felt like the ache was coming back. I have been doing a lot of physical work these past few months, but would like to nip this in the bud before I spend the next 8 months with nights of broken sleep.

Anyway, what is this potion that people take to ease these cold weather pains? I'm thinking it's cod liver oil for some reason, but am still not sure it was this that was suggested. In fact, are there any other tips that people use to get by? I've tried the usual things, doctors, x-rays, ibuprofen etc, but very little success.

Ta.

I ve had very bad back problems , that even led me to the hospital for two weeks , and tried all sorts of things, from medecine to water physio ( wonderful for me) , and I ve heard that Phytalgic, for sale in any pharmacy, gave good results, my mum , like many people, says it brings real relief. ( for joints, back, etc)

I also lost weight, and the pain became worse, the doc said it was normal and typical .. [blink]

This might be stating the obvious, but do you wear a Tshirt type vest when the weather gets cold? You need to cover your neck and shoulders, or you will unconsciously tense your shoulder muscles and this will cause pain.

Another idea - apply heat with one of those pads that you heat up in the microwave. Pat.

Can someone help me on this one?  When I had a knee problem, I was told by the physio that heat makes things worse - I had been applying a microwave heated bag onto it.  She said that I should apply a cold pack.  I forgot to ask her for the scientific explanation of why cold and not warm.  Is back pain the same i.e. should the OP apply cold treatment not warm?!?

Physios seem to be 50/50 on whether to use hot or cold packs (as reported by my FiL who has extensive personal experiance).  The idea in either case is to stimulate blood flow to the area.    For me it's hot every time please.

I'd like to know why it is that when it starts to rain heavily my broken-and-not-set-properly ankle hurts like hell!

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

I'd like to know why it is that when it starts to rain heavily my broken-and-not-set-properly ankle hurts like hell!

[/quote]

Thats a pretty standard reaction from most people with joint/muscular pains.

I know exactly when its going to rain............my knees, elbows and shoulder tell me..........[:)]

[quote user="LyndaandRichard"]I remember somewhere on here (I have tried the search function to no avail), someone suggested something to take during the colder months when backs, limbs and bones start to ache. [/quote]

You may be thinking of these threads:

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/831324/ShowPost.aspx

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1/1006396/ShowPost.aspx#1006396 (it gets more serious than it appears [:)])

• 2 weeks later...
We are lucky enough to have a GP who is also an osteopath. Unfortunately, there is no remboursement for the osteopathy, but it's worth every penny. You don't need to have put a disc out to go and see one, and it isn't just cold-blooded crunching either !

I do a lot of physical work and every so often my spine needs to be "stretched" - a bit like cracking your fingers when they get a bit compacted. It certainly does the trick.

Also take cod liver oil and glucosamine sulphate. The Phytalgic sounds interesting - I have seen it advertised.

Here's the site about Phytalgic.

I have begun the treatment myself, and after on ly a short period of taking them, , I feel much better, I can climb the stairs with  less ache in my right knee.

http://phytalgic.phythea.net/home-01_1.html

This page is about it too, in English

http://www.parasolder.com/parapharmacie/phytea/phytalgic-lot-de-6-boites-45-capsules-douleurs-articulations-parapharmacie-parasolder-phytea/product_info.php/products_id/37355/language/en

In a French pharmacy, the price is about 15 or 16 euros a box .

On their site ( the French one ), they advertise a " buy two get three" boxes.

oh dear Pierre - how are you going to cope with the next season's skiing! For me, it's heat too every time. I have made some miracle barley bags - very cheap- just get barley from supermarket and make bags of different shape and sizes, with or without stitching to make separate section - in fleece or strong cotton- and place in mocrowave for 3-4 mins. I have bags of all shapes and sizes for back, neck, long ones to wrapt around knees, wrists, etc. had terrible car accident with multiple fractures when i was young - and the 'bise' (east wind!), and the cold does wake up the aches and pains! Zut alors!

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="LyndaandRichard"] Thanks Clair. You're good at this. Someone ought to make you a mod![;-)][/quote]
Some may disagree with you there! [:P][Www]
[/quote]

Who on Earth would disagree to you being a milk monitor Clair?

I start my next 15 sessions with a physio next Tuesday. We both go and we also get French lessons thrown in for free [8-|]!!

My Tens machine helps me when my arthritis gets bad. It's one of those machines that the physio uses to give you tingly electrifical shock through soft pads on the place that hurts, for those of us that don't know the Tens that is. It is very good and I have been using mine for years now.

I also think that 1/2 bottle twice a day helps. Well I say helps, it doesn't stop the pain, but you just don't care!!![:-))]

Sorry about my humour (?) but when that stops that's when I will really start to worry!

Archived