Complete France Forum

Disabled access in Provence

Gardengirl

Someone I know is starting to plan a trip to Provence next year; he's only got one leg and uses a stick. I wondered whether anyone has experience themselves or in their family of holidaying in Provence with a disability, and if they would care to make any useful comments about places they visited which were easy to get around in, or not worth trying. Many small villages are hilly and have poor access, or could be difficult when very crowded, whereas larger places such as Avignon would probably be fine, but actual knowledge would be very helpful. Also, if anyone has stayed somewhere in Provence where they know would be a good base for them (a couple) for a few nights or more, he'd be interested.  Info via the forum or PMs would be great. Thanks, GG

gardengirl, I live adjacent to Provence and from my experience disabled facilities are very poor, to non existent. I don't know why, but disabled facilities in France are nowhere as developed as in the UK and can only assume that France does not have similar legislation as in the UK that has compelled private and public businesses to provide adequate disabled facilities.

The laws exist re disabled access, but they aren't being implemented as quickly as in the UK.

Airlines & airports are generally v good for disabled services, but make sure any requirements for access to the plane is booked in advance.

Anyone with a blue parking badge in the UK can use it in France so make sure they bring theirs if they have one.

Most holiday rental directories online have an advanced search facility where you can look for suitable properties.

Archived