Complete France Forum

Leaving France for a couple of years

Mr Coeur de Lion

Am looking at going over to the States for a couple of years on a student visa to study.

As I'll only be a temporary resident there, I'm wondering how this would affect my carte vitale over in France?

Guess this is an unusual one and most wouldn't know, but if anyone has any experience of this issue, would gratefully appreciate it.

What are your healthcare  rights over here based upon, Richard?  If you've worked here for long enough you may have social security "tenure" but if not you could be well st*ff*d.  Are you an EU citizen (I seem to remember not but could be wrong!)  Are you in receipt (or will you be by the time you get back) of an EU state pension of any sort?  All these things will affect the answer, and thus our ability to help.[:)]

A quick history of Mr Coeur de Lion.

I am an EU citizen, born in the UK & worked there for 10 years, paying into the NI there.

Moved to Oz at 28, worked there for 6 years.

Moved to France when I was 34 and not worked (am nearly 39).

I must confess to knowing very little about how the healthcare works in any country :)

@ wooly - your cheekiness knows no bounds...

Then I think st*ff*d is the correct term.[:(]

If you've lived here for five years within the law (ie paid into the appropriate caisse - CMU as you don't work here? - paid all your taxes and cotis etc), then you have the same rights as a French citizen.  But you have to be able to prove the five years (from your post I can't tell if you're under or over the five but it sounds as if you are on the brink!)  If you can then you may be OK because afaik (and that's not very far but I'm sure it's possible to look this up somewhere), a French person can take a sabatical outside the EU without altering their rights.  That's all very fine and dandy in theory but how you'd persuade the authorities over here that that is the case, I'm not sure, especially as the mood is to keep we non-French EU citizens out of the state healthcare system and in the private sector as much as possible.

Worst case scenario I reckon is to budget for five years' private healthcare costs (probably not that prohibitive at your young age - I'm just jealous!) or to find some sort of work when and if you come back.  If you can't prove 5 years' residence then I'm pretty certain this is what you'll be stuck with.  If you can prove the 5 years, then you may have better luck - you need to look at what happens to a French citizen in the same position (and no, Wooly, that's not your cue![6])

EDIT : More about the residency regs and the 5 year rule here:

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/F12017.xhtml?&n=Etrangers%20en%20France&l=N8&n=Citoyens%20communautaires%20en%20France&l=N112

You need to make your stay in the US around a day less than 2 years to keep your rights, even if you have been here 5 years (that's how I read this anyway.)

"Perte du droit au séjour permanent

Une fois acquis, le droit au séjour permanent ne se perd que par une absence de France de plus de 2 années consécutives."

Coops, thanks for all that info. I'll have been in France 5 years in Oct, and plan on studying in the US from Jan next year (but will leave in Dec this).

My intent is to get work in France when I return. I'll have the qualification which matches my work experience in the field from 7 years ago. But 2 years is a long time, who knows what'll happen in between while, but I'm just trying to look at all options and back up plans.

and Wooly... ***starts saying something, gives up and does the Gallic shrug instead***

[quote user="woolybanana"]Is gravedigging so much more complex in the USA?[/quote]

Oh yes, the graves are so much bigger that hydraulics are needed to keep the sides apart. And a permit to create a new mountain range with each grave.

John

Come to think of it, the original Richard the Lionheart is reputed to have swung every which way, so if this nurse is a student of history, our present Dick could be on his way back p d q, unless ...... well, that is another story. Whichever, hope it does not have a sticky ending![6]

Archived