Complete France Forum

Medication, without ordonnance?

Chancer

I have just been to see my medecin explaining that I thought I had once again a parasitic infection that I had a few years ago, he had ly come across it once before in teh past so asked me why I thought I had it, what the symptoms were and what is used to treat it, he then rung a laboratory to check before giving me the ordonnance.

The métronidazole only cost €3.68 in the pharmacy and of course I will get back 70% of that and of the €22 consultation fee but it struck me on returning that maybe I could have bought it without the ordonnance, I certainly did while in Chile, ther was the choice of the barnd name or a generic at 50 cents.

Whilst its always a pleasure to see my medecin it did involve 2 journeys into town and then on to the chemists plus shelling out money then to wait for a remboursement.

My question is, if you know the medication you want, in this case Flagyl is there a way of telling if it is only sold on prescription?

Thank you. [:)]

The quick way is to ask at your pharmacy, surely?  They will soon tell you if they can sell you something without a prescription.  But I'd be surprised if it were so in this case, given the contra-indications:

http://www.eurekasante.fr/medicaments/vidal-famille/medicament-dflago01-FLAGYL-oral.html

It's a prescription medicine in the US but I have found it on line without prescription:

http://community.essence.com/profiles/blogs/flagyl-low-prices-no

still I bet it's cheaper just to go the conventional route.

Its for next time and not hopefully the same parasites, but if I knew in advance I could save a journey, I did some Google.fr searches but everyone over here seems petrified by automedication, yes there are some on line pharmacies selling it at 10 times the pharmacy price plus delivery [:-))]

In the past when I have run out of some eye medication that I had been described I had gone into the pharmacy and asked the question and they sold me some more but I still dont know if they were doing me a favor or it didnt need an ordonnace.

I get the impression that everything on the counter, outrageous priced treatments for heavy legs etc are on free sale but the stuff at the back is prescription.

P.S. your link was the exact one I found!

P.P.S. I should add that it is my intestines not my genitals that are harbouiring the parasites [;-)]

Archived