Complete France Forum

MORPHINE FOR SCIATICA!

hakunamatata

My husband, who suffers from diabetes type 1, has a defib for the heart, and is on Normison (tamazapan) for sleeping problems has now been given sulphate of morphine for his sciatica. I have had sciatica for several months and only got bog standard pain killers, but then I am femal. After 2 doses of this morphine medication he is feeling generally very unwell. Is it me or should morphine be prescribed for a pain such as sciatica, lets facte it, it is only toothache in the leg, painful I know but Morphine! I am concerned because I know wrong prescribing and wrong diagnosis can lead to all sorts of problems. Does anyone have any comments?

Both my husband and I have suffered from sciatica (in UK), as has a neighbour (in France), but we've all only been prescribed 'ordinary' painkilllers - even my husband!  [:P]

It can be extremely bad; my husband and our neighbour were in appalling pain, whereas mine was just ordinary bad. My husband was referred to hospital and a back operation was even mentioned. However, I got him to an osteopath a friend had recommended, and it was amazing the difference it made. When he reckoned he'd done all he could, he recommended pilates sessions, which we both attended, which were great, although difficult to do properly, we found. Any recurrence of pain has us standing better and doing a few pilates exercises.

The only thing I can think of that we've had morphine prescribed for was kidney stones - dreadful pain!

Hope he's feeling better soon.  [:)]

[quote user="hakunamatata"] Is it me or should morphine be prescribed for a pain such as sciatica, lets facte it, it is only toothache in the leg,[/quote]

I'm sorry I can't help but just wanted to say your comment made me smile... hope you get everything sorted very soon xx

Archived