Complete France Forum

Do you get cost of medication refunded on your EHIC?

mint

When you are a poor pensioner, it's amazing how the cost of everything impacts on your life.

As friends on the Forum will know, I was in Spain for just over 6 weeks and, in that time, I had to see a doctor 3 times.  The consultation fees were waived on production of my EHIC.

However, I did have to pay to get the prescribed medicines.  Is it possible to claim back the cost of these (I have all the receipts) or do you just accept that some things have to be paid for?

I'm not talking mega bucks but, if I'm entitled to claim, then I certainly will, even if I then donate the receipts to some charity for Christmas.

Anyone has knowledge of this?  I live in France but the EHIC is, of course, issued by the UK.

Thank you in advance.

[quote user="Chancer"]Doesnt Sweet have a French EHIC or are they now issued by the UK government?[/quote]If you are covered by an S1 from the UK then they provide your EHIC these days, Chance.  However, the rules are still the same, the EU rights are those of a national of the country you visit.

Thanks to young sweet for the original post.

I had not given any thought about what to do about claiming back for any treatment when travelling to anouther EU country, so I am glad this has come up as I plan to go to Spain for a while soon and it's good to know beforehand should I have to use my UK issued EHIC.

I see on the back of the card it says to visit www.dh.gov.uk/travellers to find out how to claim. Apologies to coops if this is yet another example of tautology.

More apologies if I am now stating "the bleeding obvious"? Do I take it that if you have to use the EHIC you have to claim direct from the UK and not first of all through the French system?

Yes, Weedon, from the UK and not from France.

Thanks for the link:  I note that you are covered if you need to give birth whilst on holiday but not specifically if you go there to do the deed.

There, Weedon, have no fear about going to Spain.  You're covered for all eventualities (more or less!)

[quote user="cooperlola"]

Oooo.  I have a CEAM, does that mean that I am integrated then?  I had been searching for a definition. (Not that I've ever felt that I had integrated with anybody.  Damn.)

Btw, why is it a CEAM carte?  Isnt' that tautological?

[/quote]

Yes but a necessary one for the ignorant who don't know what the C in CEAM means, and persist in using the British ECIH, while claiming to be involved in France.

• 2 months later...
[quote user="cooperlola"]

Here you are, Sweets, 60% is refundable as far as I can see:

http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-spain/pensions-benefits/healthcare/ehic/

If you have travel insurance, then they should cough up for the rest but I doubt if it will come above any excess by the sound of what you say.

[/quote]

This post has been dredged up to enable me to say a big "Thank you" to Coops and to inform people of the outcome of my claim.

Following Coops' advice and link, I sent off all the receipts, etc and today, a cheque for £25.50 arrived!  I wasn't really expecting anything and I'd already sent a cheque to the charity, Crisis, so this was a pleasant surprise and very welcome (what with two chateaux to upkeep, etc)

Coops, I owe you a very large drink so here goes....[B][:D][kiss]

Nothing to pay for the consultations (I had 3 in 3 different places) and the refund amounts to, I think, 40% of the cost of the drugs which was the difference between what was "allowed" on the EHIC and what I had to pay out.

I believe you need to be a pensioner to benefit, Chance![:D]

Archived