Complete France Forum

Tiers payant is what?

Judith

Is this the bit you pay yourself, or your mutuelle, if you have one.  OH has an lab invoice to pay in which this is mentioned, and it is not clear what they are asking.  We assume the lab will have taken out the bit paid by CPAM as they took his CV, but we don't have a mutelle, and pay the rest ourselves.  If the tiers payant is the bit paid by whoever pays the rest, it's fine, we just need to know, and everything I found on here and by googling didn't help.

[quote user="tinabee"]

Reverso on-line gives:

tiers payant 
  nm direct payment by insurers of medical expenses

[/quote]That's rather more succinct than I managed but it was roughly what I was trying to say!  Idun, you are right, of course, it works for any insurance - even the state's.  In effect, Judith, using your carte vitale has a similar effect.

Thanks everyone.

I think I understand - it probably means that when OH goes to pay the bill tomorrow, he will just pay as usual (as I say no insurance/mutelle, intentionally) and that it is the "top up" bit - and that the CPAM bit will have already been taken by using his CV.  And as we have no mutelle, we pay it directly instead, but the "arrangement" is the same ... sometimes I wonder why the French do make some things more complicated than they need be....

Will let you know what happens .....

[EDIT] after the event - I  think he just paid, I wasn't there, but he didn't say anything out of the ordinary happened ..... thanks all - another piece of information to file for future use ..

Archived