Complete France Forum

A word of advice re E/S forms

Judith

Having today finally broached the need to go to CPAM in Beziers to change our caisse because we have moved departments, I came upon a small problem which is easily solved if you do want we didn't do.

The dear fonctionnaire (obviously following to letter the various pieces of paper needed) wanted proof of our retirement - which of course we don't as such get - only the E121 (as it was).  She did not want to understand my explanation that the originals had been handed over to CPAM in the Aude when we first signed on.

Apart from the fact that the only thing which had changed was our address (we've moved 18 km and are 50 m only into the new department so banks, doctor etc all stay the same), she wanted all the papers again  - RIB, attestations (which is all we have to prove our affiliation) etc.  The only thing she didn't want was the medecin traitment form (even though it's got the wrong address on it!) as we hadn't changed him!!

Now it would seem to me that if the system (which as we know is all computerised) were really joined up, all we should have to do would be to prove our change of address with the usual EDF bill and all should just be changed .... but this is France, and jobs for the boys..

So my  piece of advice, which is relevant for any piece of paper, but especially the E/S forms, is to take a copy before you hand them over the first time.

Fortunately I'd taken a copy of mine, OH hadn't - we'll see if it all works out.....

[quote user="Judith"]So my  piece of advice, which is relevant for any piece of paper, but especially the E/S forms, is to take a copy before you hand them over the first time

[/quote]Standard orders for all important paperwork, and not just in France [;-)]

Bonne chance !

Indeed, AnO, but hoping others will learn from our mistake ..... I did, which is why I took the E121 copy, and did not with the E106 and then wished I had ..... but it was early days, and sometimes there are just so many things to do, and not always enough time when you first arrive to work it all out..

It is not all that important in the UK, as they are not quite so paper mad there .....

Quite so, you two.  I cannot believe the number of times I read things like "I don't know what Form x said because I sent it to so-and-so department."  Really, is it so expensive and difficult to take a copy before sending these things off?  At the very least I scan everything into my computer (backed up to the external hard drive on a regular basis.)  You just never know when you might need these things again.

Thanks Coops,

As I said, lesson learnt.

However, it has to be said in justification of the omission, that when OH arrived, he had a house to sort on his own, whilst I had to go back to the UK to work, he speaks French, but reluctantly, and he had no computer working, or telephone, or internet, had to get a car bought, plus find  his way around etc etc.  It certainly didn't help that three weeks after he arrived he had to deal with the house and village flooding........and that he lost quite a lot of papers in the consequent mess did not help.

As I said, there is so much to do when you first arrive, it is easy to overlook something you did not realise you should have done (and I bet everyone on this forum has done something stupid like this at some time or another).

Being wise after the event is easy..... hence the posting.

Thanks Coops,

As I said, lesson learnt.

However, it has to be said in justification of the omission, that when OH arrived, he had a house to sort on his own, whilst I had to go back to the UK to work, he speaks French, but reluctantly, and he had no computer working, or telephone, or internet, had to get a car bought, get the place working and heated (it was October), plus find  his way around etc etc.  It certainly didn't help that three weeks after he arrived he had to deal with the house and village flooding........and that he lost quite a lot of papers in the consequent mess did not help.

As I said, there is so much to do when you first arrive, it is easy to overlook something you did not realise you should have done (and I bet everyone on this forum has done something stupid like this at some time or another).

Being wise after the event is easy..... hence the posting.

I learned a long long time ago that every last bit of paper work sent to the CPAM needed a back up copy at home. AND it taught me that I needed a back up for every last thing I ever sent in France.

I could guarantee that if I forgot, then things would go pear shaped and I would have no 'proof' without a lot of hassle.

Archived