Complete France Forum

Radiotherapy burns?

mogs

I'm suffering quite badly from burns owing to treatment of radiotherapy, which has thankfully finished now.

The radiotherapist told me just to use almond oil, however this doesn't appear to be helping as in some areas of the burns the skin is peeling and weeping, it's also in an awkward position so a dressing is difficult to keep on and I'm allergic to most dressings that stick to the skin.

Has anyone been given a treatment that has helped?

That sounds really nasty Mogs. I was burned too, but saw others in a far worse condition following treatment. I used aloe vera gel regularly before, during and after treatment, rather than the almond oil suggested by the radiology staff; I checked with them first, of course. I've bought tubes of it in both England and France at health food/bio shops. I know it's been suggested for burns for years, but I really don't know if it can be used on broken skin. My burns didn't get that bad. I haven't even got a tube here with me or I'd check.

Hope you find aloe vera or other suggestions people have helpful - it's so nasty. Take care. 

Hello Mogs

I'm sorry to hear that you are suffering so badly following your radiotherapy,

I have been applying the Dexeryl cream (ingredients: glycerol, vaseline and liquid paraffin) prescribed by my onoologist and the itching/burning has pretty much gone now (2 weeks post 25 treatments). I don't know if this would be of help to you, but it's got to be worth asking about. What about talking to your local pharmacy too?

Best wishes for a swift recovery from this stage of your treatment.

I posted this link on another thread a little while ago:

http://cancerhelp.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/treatment/radiotherapy/side-effects/general/radiotherapy-and-your-skin#react

The crucial bits are :You may be told not to wash the treatment area at all during

treatment, although there is little evidence that this helps. It is best

to follow the instructions of your own treatment unit. But there is

evidence that daily washing with mild, unperfumed soap and warm or cool

water is helpful. You should gently pat the skin dry with a soft towel.

Or you could use a hair dryer on the cold setting to air dry your skin briefly. Rubbing the skin makes it sore.

Don't use creams or dressings on the treatment area unless they are

prescribed by your radiotherapist. Don't use talcum powder because this

contains tiny metal particles that can make the soreness worse after

radiotherapy. If the tumour is affecting your skin, your nurses may put

on special dressings after your treatment.

Other skin care tips when washing and shaving include

• Don't rub the area too hard as this can make it sore
  • Don't use perfumed soaps, talcs, deodorants, lotions or perfumes
  • Try baby soap or liquid baby wash but check with the radiotherapy staff in your department first
  • Men having radiotherapy to the head and neck should use an electric razor instead of wet shaving

Archived