Complete France Forum

widows benefit in France?

Gellybaby9

My husband had a sudden heart attack earlier this month and died. I was dependent on him and he claimed dependent wife allowance on his UK old Age pension. Which apart from a small private pension was our only income. Does anyone know whether I can claim any widow benefit on the French system? I await a form from the UK system, but wondered whether in the meantime there was anything available on the French system. I am in my fifties and we have been here for more than five years.

My condolences on your loss.

I'm sorry I can't answer your question, however it may be worth looking up Val 2's postings - the difference being that Val and her husband had lived and worked in France and contributed to the French system for many years, however from memory I believe Val was able to claim certain things from the Uk such as something toward the funeral cost, which you may  have overlooked. I hope thats helpful.

You may claim a couple of thousand pounds from the UK Works and Pensions at Newcastle. You should ring and inform them of your husband's death so they have the details regarding his pension and when I rang, they said I was entitled to a Bereavement payment which they sent the forms for and a couple of months later I received a payment monthly for one year. You will not receive anything from the French government for death as you have not paid in long enough nor will you be entitled to a pension de reversion on any payments you have made during work as the minimum time for paying cotisations is 15 years and you must be 55 minimum of age. You need to see the local Assistante Sociale to see if you are entitled to RSA payments but this takes a few months and requires a lot of paperwork and patience before the CAF present your dossier to be authorised or refused by the Prefecture. We worked and paid in for over 18years here and I still do with my part time job but those who do not pay any social charges will not receive anything back I am afraid. Remember you must start the inheritance process within four months of the death with your Notaire but you do not have to accept anything or do anything for a maximum of ten years as this was reduced from thirty years. Depending on your type of french will,you will normally inherit your half and half of your husband's share with the other quarter shared amongst the children of your marriage but again depends on what regime you have. If you wish to know more please ask as this is not something many people on this forum have gone through and like you, I am of the same age group and it happened suddenly leaving me with no revenue.

Thank-you all for your replies. I am seeing the French SS official tues morning and I have informed Newcastle, I am just waiting for the forms to come in the post. It is just taking an interminable time for them to arrive. I am over 55.

Archived