Complete France Forum

Keeping X rays

Lehaut

In our clearing our, we have come across the giant pictures the hopsitals have given us during our, thankfully, few visits where an X ray has been required, (normally me after brico accidents!)

We were under the impression that we had to keep them, but does anyone know for how long? Have never been asked for them when we have had a hospital visit.

We have kept ours, and will until we 'go'.

We did take old ones along occasionally when doing hospital visits in France to compare, and I have taken an old ultra sound to compare too here in the UK.

Also they cannot just be got rid of, as they are classed as dangerous so maybe if you really don't want them, call a radiology clinic and ask them what to do with them, and how to dispose of them.

I keep my scans and MRIs since they are often needed for comùparison up to 5 years later.
The service de radiologie at my local clinique now makes them available online so you can keep a digital version, which I do together with my records on a USB Stick

Dont know specifically for France but for the NHS it used to be that records of all descriptions should not be kept for more than 30 years - seems that for images its now 5 years and varies depending on what the records are.

For films of broken bones etc that are healed then there seems little point in keeping them.

Iduns idea of contacting a local hospital is very sensible. Film recycling involves silver recovery and so if they still have a disposal contract they could make a little money from them. Otherwise why not stick them on a wall.

Film/screen technology is now pretty much, if not totally, replaced with digital technology and so the issue with film will eventually disappear.

Archived