Complete France Forum

SCREEN KEEPS FREEZING UP ON ME !!!

Hope someone out there is able to put me right!!  I find myself half way through doing something on the web, like for instance now!!!  and suddenly for no reason the screen freezes on me ie; my pointer will not move with my mouse directing it , nor am I able to work the pointer up to close the screen down, the only way to resolve the problem, is having to do a temp. switch off with my screen resetting as an unauthorised closing down.  Any body know what is going on ????

Regards Les Favets

I get something like this intermittently on a PC running Windows ME.  However with my PC it also freezes when using other applications like Word.  When my PC freezes the mouse or keyboard don’t seem to register although I get a buzzing noise through the speakers when pressing a key on the keyboard or moving the mouse around.  Control+Alt+Delete doesn’t work and the only way to switch the PC off is with the power button.

My system has all the latest anti-virus and Windows etc updates.

I’ve not been able to work out what’s causing it however the PC seems a lot more stable after running Scandisk, Disk Defragmenter and deleting .tmp files.  (You can find these applications in Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools).  The hard drive was getting close to full and I moved some sound files and picture files onto a CD and deleted them from the hard drive.

Has your problem only started since you downloaded / installed something on your PC?  If so, depending on what version of Windows you have, “System Restore” allows you to return your PC to the way it was working [properly] on a chosen date - it removes programs but leaves data files intact.

It will be something you've added, changed or deleted.

* Have you added hardware or updated software?

* Have you run a program which 'cleans up' or deletes supposedly unwanted/unused programmes or utilities?

* Do you have antivirus software (or any other programme) which automatically downloads and installs updates ?

* Have you recently installed XP service pack?

* Have you altered the bios settings recently ?

I've found the XP service pack installation had the same 'freezing' effect for me; it seems to be incompatible  with my ISDN adaptor, so had to be rolled back.

good luck

paul

No to all your questions.  The only thing I can think of is that my son-in-law over christmas tried to make contact with his e-mail address through his Apple connection but was not able to do so.

I will have to live with it but at least there is someone else out there with a similar problem  Many thanks!!!

Les Favets

Archived