Complete France Forum

UK Aerial in France with French TV?

Coming over to the house in about a week and am intending to buy a French TV. I have a spare TV aerial here in the UK and I thought that I would bring it with me and use it with the French TV.

Does anyone know if it will work? If not, what sort of aerial will I need to pick up French Terrestrial TV?

Thanks

Carla

[quote]Coming over to the house in about a week and am intending to buy a French TV. I have a spare TV aerial here in the UK and I thought that I would bring it with me and use it with the French TV.Does an...[/quote]

If the aerial is "wideband", you can take it with you. Wideband aerials cover the whole UHF band from channels 21 to 69.

Usually, aerials are grouped into bands that only cover specific channels (21 to 38 for example) and they achieve slightly more gain than wideband types. This type of aerial will only work in France if your local transmitter there transmits the same group of channels as here in the UK.

TV aerial amplifiers operate in exactly the same way ie they are specific to a particular group of channels.

If you buy your aerial when you get to France, you will be sure of getting the right one for the area.

The other thing to say is "Try It" even if not wideband, you might find that you are close enough to the transmitter that even a "wrong grouping" (or coat hanger) will work (which is when an aerial is an aerial) or by luck you might just have the right grouping.

Getting boringly anoracky, an aerial works best when it is exactly the right length, oddly enough, that is not when it is the same length as the wavelength of the transmission, I think it's best when the length of the actual aerial bit is a quarter of the wave length, but I'm sure somebody with a better memory will correct me if I'm wrong. For what it's worth (and in even bigger anorack), most TV aerials are of a type called a Yagi, they have a few elements (pencil like bits in a line). Only one of these pencils is actually connected to your TV, most of those elements are directors (and reflectors) that help focus the signal onto the aerial. The weaker the signal, the more focusing is needed, so you need more elements giving (what is commonly /wrongly known as) a longer aerial - so, if you have a short yagi (wide or correct banding) but are a long way from the transmitter, you may find that you can improve the signal by getting a yagi with more elements, rather than by getting an amplifier.  I need to get out more

Now, ignore most of that and try it.

Take it with you and try it.... What's to lose? Even if it's the wrong group, you'll still get something out of it. If it doesn't work then head off to a Brico. Have a look at the aerials your neighbours houses have. Are they quite compact? or are they l-o-n-g multi-element jobs? If the latter, then you're after a hi-gain one. In the order of 60 Euros for about 19dB gain.

p

Archived