Complete France Forum

The date on my computer keeps jumping back to January 1st, 2002.  I don't know if it's its "birthday" or what, but no matter how many times I correct it, after a few days it jumps back.

Therefore on the Wanadoo page, etc. I get 1 janvier 2002, and I think it interferes with "surfing".

Any explanations of why it should do this, and any remedies?

Many thanks.

[quote]The date on my computer keeps jumping back to January 1st, 2002. I don't know if it's its "birthday" or what, but no matter how many times I correct it, after a few days it jumps back. Therefore on ...[/quote]

Yep, could be CMOS clock battery, a little round silver button on the PC motherboard, (if your pooter is a PC) often a CR2032 or similar, about the size of a a UK 5p piece..

Unplug the mains lead before you change it or take the case cover off as many motherboards are still powered even if the computer appears to be off.

If it's an all-in-one-iMac of the Mk1 persuasion then you're in for some surgery.... The last one I had also had a "synchronise with a Time Server option", but that was years ago....

If you're running windows XP go to the Date & Time Control panel, click the Internet Time tab and then select the "synchronise with a Time Server option". This will at least keep the clock updated most of the time (with an internet connection) although it's rarely instant.

If you're running Win 2000 or earlier you can download the Atomic Clock updater from here which is free and will also keep your time and date correct without a battery.

http://www.worldtimeserver.com/atomic-clock/

If it is a PC and the CMOS battery is flat you may find your PC isn't running at optimum speeds as other information in the BIOS may be set to slightly slower defaults in order to keep the machine running.

The batts are available at camera shops etc.

[quote]Thank you both very much for the information. I shall see if I can try to find where the battery is and also try the other things you say, I have Windows XP and today am still 1 January 2002![/quote]

Actually, CA, your problem is tres simple! Your computer is a female and just will not grow old graciously.

Archived