Complete France Forum

I've been using a Microsoft cordless laser mouse for about 18 months.  Even though it's a right hand mouse, I use it left handed.

That is until recently.  It absolutely refuses to work if I use it left handed!!  I suppose that it doesn't like the angle or something.  I hate having to use it right handed, which is very uncomfortable.  Why are most computers prejudiced against us lefties???

PG

Both Windows and Mac systems allow you to change from right to left handed mouse operation. You might like to know that Trust do actually make an ergonomically shaped left handed mouse specially for left handed people. You might also like to look at http://www.anythingleft-handed.co.uk/acatalog/wireless_keyboard.html# which is a left handed keyboard and mouse both wireless for under £50. There is a Apple version but it's £90 odd.

Logitech used to make left handed mice which were not that expensive and worked on PC's and Macs, you would have to look on their website to find them if they still exist. There is also, if you are visiting London, a left hand shop somewhere because my wife used  it. If you are a member of Lloydes TSB they do a left handed cheque book. Living with a 'lefty' opens your eyes to the problems they have with everyday things.

I've gotten used to using right handed mice in my left hand, it's just a question of adjustment.  What's odd about this is that it actually won't move the cursor if I use it with my left hand.  I usually roll it around on the arm of my chair, but it will only work with the angle of my right hand, not the left hand.

My guess is that the laser mechanism has started to "go" somehow, and it now has to hit the surface at a specific angle.

I've ordered an optical pen-shaped mouse form Pearl, so hopefully when that comes my problem will go away.

As to life being more complicated, for us, it definitely is that.  Can openers for right handers are big problems, and of course, there is the whole "scissors" issue.  I do have a very nice pair of lefty scissors and I won't allow my right handed hubby to touch it!

PG

Well, my optical mouse/pen arrived today.  It does take a little getting used to after using a standard shaped mouse, although I think it's easier to use than a touch pad.  It allows you to use it both right and left handed and does permit you to write as well, although my handwriting is so awful, I can't imagine wanting to do much of that!

PG

[quote user="PossumGirl"]I've gotten used to using right handed mice in my left hand, it's just a question of adjustment.  What's odd about this is that it actually won't move the cursor if I use it with my left hand.  I usually roll it around on the arm of my chair, but it will only work with the angle of my right hand, not the left hand.

My guess is that the laser mechanism has started to "go" somehow, and it now has to hit the surface at a specific angle.

I've ordered an optical pen-shaped mouse form Pearl, so hopefully when that comes my problem will go away.

As to life being more complicated, for us, it definitely is that.  Can openers for right handers are big problems, and of course, there is the whole "scissors" issue.  I do have a very nice pair of lefty scissors and I won't allow my right handed hubby to touch it!

PG

[/quote]

However, PG, you have to give credit to the 'rightys' for getting to grips with knives and forks. Of course they'll never be as dextrous as we are at wielding a fork in the left hand, but generally - from what I can see - they seem to be making giant strides !

[quote user="Gyn_Paul"]

However, PG, you have to give credit to the 'rightys' for getting to grips with knives and forks. Of course they'll never be as dextrous as we are at wielding a fork in the left hand, but generally - from what I can see - they seem to be making giant strides !

[/quote]

If only they wouldn't all selfishly grab the one "good" seat at the dinner table when you go out to eat with them!  You know the one: it's the left end corner seat so you're not always getting your arm bashed by them during dinner.

PG

[quote user="PossumGirl"][quote user="Gyn_Paul"]

[/quote]

If only they wouldn't all selfishly grab the one "good" seat at the dinner table when you go out to eat with them!  You know the one: it's the left end corner seat so you're not always getting your arm bashed by them during dinner.

PG

[/quote]

That's true....  In an airport when checking in for any flight involving food the questions should be not, "would you like a window or an aisle seat?", but "would you prefer to sit with a right or left-hander ?" Restaurant tables may be bad news, but eating on a plane is damned near impossible!

I also have a problem with MOH who insists I 'hide' the

tub of butter from her: in fact I hold it in the right hand and scoop

with the left (naturally) and then (being  a chap) just abandon it to

the right of my place setting beyond her reach.  33 years and  I'm

STILL getting it in the neck!

I have also been known to drain my glass, then absent-mindedly pick up my neighbour's. I always blame it on being a lefty and the position of the glasses being predicated on the belief that the whole world is right-handed, but actually I'm just an opportunist!

And it's NOT true that we don't live as long, either ! <g>

p

Gyn_Paul wrote: <<I have also been known to drain my glass, then absent-mindedly pick up my neighbour's. I always blame it on being a lefty and the position of the glasses being predicated on the belief that the whole world is right-handed, but actually I'm just an opportunist!

And it's NOT true that we don't live as long, either ! <g> >>

Carry on like that and you won't live as long!

Archived