Complete France Forum

changing to broadband

i know we should really but am not sure how to do it or what the right phrases are in French.

We are with wanadoo, shortly to be orange i hear.

Can anyone tell me in simple terms what i need to do. Do I buy some sort of box that goes on top of the computer? See, I know nothing! There is a wanadoo shop where we have called before but it is always really busy and noisy and nobody seems to speak any English and I am scared of signing up to the wrong thing just because i have misunderstood. it would be challenge enough to go through the process in English.

At the moment we have 60hours internet per month for 15 euros which is fine. I am looking for a similar sort of deal but with Broadband. The main advantage to me would be leaving the phone line free but I know that it will all be faster too.

Just another question while I'm at it: as Broadband doesnt take up the phone line, does that mean you can have broadband internet access even if you haven't got a phone? Please don't laugh. i don't know how you people out there know all these things.

We were in the same position as you earlier this year when ADSL finally came to the village. We went upto F.Telecom agency in town and asked to be changed over to Broadband. We did not want the ugly Livebox thing stood about and so opted for the Sagem modem at a one-off cost of 1€ (Livebox is 3€/month rental) and it is about 33 square and just sits next to the phone unobtrusive. We had to wait four days to be connected to the ADSL with no internet at all during that period as there is a waiting list to be connected and could be longer or shorter depending on your area. FT did everything there and then in the shop via their screen and we now pay the same 25€/month unlimited. All you do is go and ask for what you want and given them the details.

thanks - you've given me confidence. well, almost.

what exactly do we ask for please?

and why would anyone have an ugly livebox at 3 euros a month when they can have a Sagem modem for a one off cost of 1 euro?

With the Livebox, you can have wireless internet access and some other options (television, for one, I think).  If those don't interest you, you certainly don't need it.

If you go to the France Telecom website, you can find a lot of information about the different options, also a link to double-check that broadband is really available for your line.

I have the link here for the different possibilities, but I suppose you will have to speak to them to see how many méga you can get.  I called asking if I could change to ADSL, they checked my line and said I could have 1 méga unlimited for 24.90 € per month.  I said OK and that I needed a modem and, as Val said, they sent it for 1€ with an installation CD, the necessary plugs, etc. and it works!

https://www.adsl-facile.com/formulaire/adsl_wanadoo.php

You do need a phone for any sort of Internet access - as the information thingy stuff (& that is the technical term!! [Www] ) comes down the phone line.  If you are offered a wireless option I would think about it - we have it (in Northern Ireland) & it's a pain.  We lose connection all the time & constantly have to re-start the laptop.  It is brilliant in that you can take it anywhere (Mark's always using it for his astro-photography) but does have a few problems.

Archived