Complete France Forum

Oh dear silly hubby

We have just moved here and because my husband thought he would be breaking the law by keeping Sky, he has cancelled our subscription.  Now we've had a nice letter from them and after reading all the advice about using Sky in France, I am inclined to call them and tell them it was a mistake and that we have just moved house - giving my parent's address in Suffolk.

We still have the box and the dish, but won't Sky then try and fix an appointment to come a connect us 'in Suffolk'? 

Also I have heard that we can't use our UK TV that we brought (though reading the FAQ maybe we can).  Do I need to hit the Sleas quick and get a french TV. We want a basic Sky package so that we can receive the usual land channels plus Channel 4 and 5 and my son wants Sky Sports.  It's the only thing that may persuade him to visit us at present!

All advice would be very gratefully received. Many thanks!

You can still use your English TV and Sky box and card, and you'll get all the usual suspects of channels, but I don't think you'll get Sky Sports if you cancelled your subscription. And of course you won't get French TV on an English receiver, BUT, you can alter language settings in setup and get Euronews in French. Good for learning.

[quote user="Bluebee"]

We have just moved here and because my husband thought he would be breaking the law by keeping Sky, he has cancelled our subscription.  Now we've had a nice letter from them and after reading all the advice about using Sky in France, I am inclined to call them and tell them it was a mistake and that we have just moved house - giving my parent's address in Suffolk.

We still have the box and the dish, but won't Sky then try and fix an appointment to come a connect us 'in Suffolk'? 

Also I have heard that we can't use our UK TV that we brought (though reading the FAQ maybe we can).  Do I need to hit the Sleas quick and get a french TV. We want a basic Sky package so that we can receive the usual land channels plus Channel 4 and 5 and my son wants Sky Sports.  It's the only thing that may persuade him to visit us at present!

All advice would be very gratefully received. Many thanks!

[/quote]

Your Sky card will have been instructed to block the channels you were paying for but it will still unscramble C4 and C5 (and of course you get all the Beeb channels, and all the other terrestrial channels and the various ITVs which you would get without a card in the box at all. Bring your box, dish and card over here and set it up and all will  be well. There is one of the Sky Sports channels (Sky Sporrts News ??) which is free. That will have to do him !

A French TV will show you the Sky box in colour provided you connect the two with a scart socket. 

A UK TV won't show you any French  off-air channels with the aerial cable connected.

A cheap French VHS machine connected to a UK TV with a scart lead will show you french stuff (using the VHS's tuner) but only in B & W.

Your French TV licence is now part of your Tax d'habitation.

p

p

Archived