Complete France Forum

We've lost ITV

I don't know what's happened but we can't get any of the ITV channels or True Movies any more and even the BBC keeps losing sound for about 3 seconds at a time every minute or so.

We don't have a freebox or skybox, just a digital satellite dish pointed in the right direction.  It's worked fine for the last two years (even through the recnt thunderstorms) but over the last week or so it got worse and worse and now the ITV channels have completely frozen.

Has anyone else experienced this or does anyone know what we can do about it?

Thanks.

Aren't you using any sort of decoder box at all? How is the dish connected to the TV? If the dish has moved a fraction, I don't think that should account for 'freezing', but nevertheless I take it you've checked dish alignment, water ingress, cable security etc?

Cobwebs on the "bit in the middle" would you believe - working fine now!  Still don't understand why it only affected ITV though.   Yes we do have  decoder, bought at the same time as the dish, from Mr Bricolage.

[quote user="St Amour"]Cobwebs on the "bit in the middle" would you believe - working fine now!  Still don't understand why it only affected ITV though.   Yes we do have  decoder, bought at the same time as the dish, from Mr Bricolage.[/quote]

It affected ITV because the various channels come from different satellites, all nominally in the same place in orbit, but actually in separate 56km 'boxes' in space, which means that - no matter where you point the dish - it will be a compromise.  So the compromise in your case is that you have a slightly lower signal strength on ITV. If you were to nudge the dish slightly you'd get better signal strength on ITV but only at the expense of some other channels.

p

Archived